Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire choices

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire choices

About to purchase new tires and want to know what everyone thinks. Right now I have Dunlop Mud Rovers but want something that looks a little more....extreme.
Looking for size 315/75/16 or close. Rather go bigger than smaller.
Want something that looks great and performs well on rocks and desert conditions. I do a lot of highway driving so want a radial but tread life isn't as big of a deal for me, I swap through tires a lot.
Leaning towards the Nitto Mud Grapplers in 315/75/16 or Super Swamper TSL radial in the 36x12.50/16 size.
Any thoughts, suggestions, expierence or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Donny
Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What made you consider these two options? One is a low-end price-point tire based on 2 decade old technology, while the other is a high end pretty expensive tire.

Personally, I'd look for other options. Swampers need to be aired down below 6 PSI to get any reasonable sidewall flex for rocks and they're not that great to begin with. The Nitto's make quite a bit of road noise when on the street, if that's important.

Other people will chime in with opinions, but it sounds like you want a tough looking tire that can perform across different conditions.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitto cause they look great. Swamper just because of their history. I have had swampers in the past, but for mud.
I want a tough looking and tough tire. Loud is not a problem, that's why I installed a great sound system.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Feasterdef
Nitto cause they look great. Swamper just because of their history. I have had swampers in the past, but for mud.
I want a tough looking and tough tire. Loud is not a problem, that's why I installed a great sound system.
Nittos over swampers! I do run swampers on my trailer however - and their siped...

Quick Reply: Tire choices