Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire carrier: teraflex, genright, or or-fab?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For what it's worth...

I've got Gen-Right front and rear bumpers and Or-Fab slider/steps. The build and fit of the GR stuff is WORLDS better. Also, if you want aluminum, I think the GR tire carrier is the only option- true??
Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default or fab here for me

pros only love it works great no squeeks holds tire tight swings very smoothly out and away ! most claim install to be a pain but nothing goes smooth with a jeep its a jeep thing ! I like the ruggedness look over some ive seen I prefer it on a gate not to open with my tailgate
easyer to wash behind and do stuff then close it , it s like having a extra lock on the rear tailgate door if you choose to toss a lock on it
im surprised at a break in weld makes you wonder what made it do that was it pure abuse or what ? I don't bash down off of cliffs so
maybe that's why mine hasn't Attachment 408830 and I don't carry a 40 imch tire either lol

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
pros only love it works great no squeeks holds tire tight swings very smoothly out and away ! most claim install to be a pain but nothing goes smooth with a jeep its a jeep thing ! I like the ruggedness look over some ive seen I prefer it on a gate not to open with my tailgate
easyer to wash behind and do stuff then close it , it s like having a extra lock on the rear tailgate door if you choose to toss a lock on it
im surprised at a break in weld makes you wonder what made it do that was it pure abuse or what ? I don't bash down off of cliffs so
maybe that's why mine hasn't Attachment 408830 and I don't carry a 40 imch tire either lol
Had you read it was a 35 inch tire and less than 3 months old. A tire carrier thats designed to carry up to a 37 and 2 fuel cans breaks at a weld and the tubing cracks that poor quality. Sorry if that upsets you because you drilled all those holes in your rig and you are now married to it. And just for the record he wasnt smashing off cliffs
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr.dirty

Had you read it was a 35 inch tire and less than 3 months old. A tire carrier thats designed to carry up to a 37 and 2 fuel cans breaks at a weld and the tubing cracks that poor quality. Sorry if that upsets you because you drilled all those holes in your rig and you are now married to it. And just for the record he wasnt smashing off cliffs
Whoa!! Easy tiger. I dont think anyone is upset. And if someone wants to change this carrier out or another one it would be quite simple. Its really not a problem to plug the hole where the latch block goes. I've seen people switch from OR Fabs to LOD's and from other carriers to OR Fab. Really not a big deal!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the or-fab with the standard gas cans carrier.

Chose the or-fab for two main reasons:
1) I can pick whatever rear number I want
2) keeps the gas cans low (low center of gravity) and protected

I chose the standard gas can model for versatility. I can either use the standard or the rotopax types there. The standard allows for storing more gas.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I have the or-fab with the standard gas cans carrier.

Chose the or-fab for two main reasons:
1) I can pick whatever rear number I want
2) keeps the gas cans low (low center of gravity) and protected

I chose the standard gas can model for versatility. I can either use the standard or the rotopax types there. The standard allows for storing more gas.
Good point with the standard carrier. I think it gives you an additional 4 inches or so between the carrier and tail gate so you could double stack roto pax. I was thinking of doing the same but I opted for the RotoPax carrier due to my garage space. I didn't need my Rubicon any longer because it barely fits now.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default holes ?

drill holes ? the or fab you drill a few 1/8 holes and one 1 inch that you slap a trail rated badge over if you decided to sell the jeep and keep the quality built or fab product least that's the way I see it ! as far as welds breaking I wasn't there so im not sure whos telling the truth , all I know is or fab stands behind there product and every one that ive ever seen with one hasn't broke weld that pic looks as though there was rust involved that's not normal up keep looks like negligence from what the pic showed

but to each their own no ones saying you must buy or fab just saying some of us here are more than satisfied with the quality or fab designed sorry for your frustrations sir

maybe a pic of the full jeep would better explain the driving habits of this owner who claims this!

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-13-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
drill holes ? the or fab you drill a few 1/8 holes and one 1 inch that you slap a trail rated badge over if you decided to sell the jeep and keep the quality built or fab product least that's the way I see it ! as far as welds breaking I wasn't there so im not sure whos telling the truth , all I know is or fab stands behind there product and every one that ive ever seen with one hasn't broke weld that pic looks as though there was rust involved that's not normal up keep looks like negligence from what the pic showed

but to each their own no ones saying you must buy or fab just saying some of us here are more than satisfied with the quality or fab designed sorry for your frustrations sir

maybe a pic of the full jeep would better explain the driving habits of this owner who claims this!
Ask and you shall receive.

Just a mildly built 2dr on 35s. The fact that you would drill holes in a vehicle and cover them with stickers says alot about you as a person just saying. As for the weld breaking there is no truth to tell the weld broke at the weld. Piss poor quality to me. Secondly the rust was from under the powdercoat and had nothing to o with the way the owner cared for his bumper. You said you had never seen one fail. Well i gave you proof and now all of a sudden its the owners fault. Not buying it. I do make my own because I pride my self on quality and cut no corners. .090 wall HREW tubing is not sufficient for this application but its a way to cut cost by the manufacturer. And to add to your rust theory, we live in SOCAL desert and bare steel doesn't even rust here so even that argument is invalid. You asked for proof I provided it.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dr.dirty

Ask and you shall receive.

Just a mildly built 2dr on 35s. The fact that you would drill holes in a vehicle and cover them with stickers says alot about you as a person just saying. As for the weld breaking there is no truth to tell the weld broke at the weld. Piss poor quality to me. Secondly the rust was from under the powdercoat and had nothing to o with the way the owner cared for his bumper. You said you had never seen one fail. Well i gave you proof and now all of a sudden its the owners fault. Not buying it. I do make my own because I pride my self on quality and cut no corners. .090 wall HREW tubing is not sufficient for this application but its a way to cut cost by the manufacturer. And to add to your rust theory, we live in SOCAL desert and bare steel doesn't even rust here so even that argument is invalid. You asked for proof I provided it.
Wow!! Now it went from poor quality to Piss Poor Quality. Dr. Dirtys experience on OR Fab is from a carrier that broke near the weld line but wait, it wasn't even on his Jeep but he knows exactly how the Jeep was drivin. And we are gauging OR Fabs carrier from one carrier that broke, amazing. Any product out there can have a defect and just because one broke doesn't mean they are all crap. Dr. Dirty, you need to just relax, or take some stress out and go wheelin. Cheers.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

The op asked for an opinion I have it. The people said that OR fab doesn't break. I proved them wrong. That simple. And the guy that has it on his jeep I happen to know very well an wheeled with hundreds of time. Everyone has their opinion mine is to steer clear of OR Fab and my reasons were given. If the OP goes with OR Fab so be it. No skin off my back. I think a few of you need to get out wheeling because web wheeling doesnt qualify I am far from stressed

Last edited by dr.dirty; 01-13-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire carrier: teraflex, genright, or or-fab?