Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire carrier question

Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire carrier question

I have a Rugged Ridge bumper and tire carrier that has been on my JK for about a year. I am at the point now that I hate it.

I have adjusted, re-adjusted, tweaked, and pulled what little hair I have left out. The tire is constantly bouncing around in the rear view mirror. I bought the kit to connect it to the tailgate, that was a slight improvement, till the bolts that connected to the swing arm both broke off. This thing is a disaster looking for a place to happen.

In searching around for alternatives, I stumbled across an idea from a guy called 6 i x Offroad. It looks like something that I could fab myself.

Stolen picture from the internet......

My question is this.... has anyone had any success with a system like this? It appears to stiffen the entire tailgate and take the brunt of the weight. The beauty of it is its simplicity.

Let me know what your thoughts and opinions are.

Btw... I am running BFG KM2's in 35x12.5x15 on MB72's.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XHD rear bumper and add on tire carrier?

Looked at this the other day and considering it so I am interested in others input and more about your issues with it...

Quick Reply: Tire carrier question