Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
Rear corner armor covers it up really nice too....
Ahhh ok thats good to know.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I'm pretty sure any of them could be used with a little trimming and drilling.
We have done the OR-Fab carrier with the rear EVO armor.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

i was looking at the smitty xrc, but then i noticed the river raider that hooks to the corners and swings down
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jetspd67
How did you get that centered?

I designed and fab'd a new spindle mount that works with the AEV carrier. It allows a 35-37 inch tire to be centered on the rear of the tailgate. It also lowers the tire a few inches for better visibility. The new mounting spindle works well with the AEV CHMSL and does not interfere with any of the functions of the tire carrier.

I have had the new spindle mount on my Jeep for approximately a year to test for quality and durability prior to being released for sale.
So this is gonna be for sale? Through who and how much? I need this badly. I was going to spend the weekend figuring out how to do this but I am crunched for time before a hunting trip and would love to get this done before I leave.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gint2
Rugged Ridge sells a "turn buckle" that you can mount to the tailgate and your tire carrier. This allows you to open both at the same time and you may not have to change your bumper/carrier that you have.
HAs anyone used this and is it any good????
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XFactor
I have a Smittybilt adjustable tire carrier that bolts right on in place of the stock one. It holds up to a 37" right up against the tailgate like the factory setup (except stronger) so there is NO bounce. As a bonus, it also relocates the 3rd taillight to fit over whatever size tire you're running.

I also picked up the MBRP reinforcing kit that replaces the tiny factory breakaway nuts holding the factory mount on. This kit spreads out the weight on the inside of the tailgate so the tailgate won't warp.

I could try and get some pics later if you're interested. Whole setup ran less than $150.
How's this setup working for you. Still happy? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks very much,
Howard
Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hs106
How's this setup working for you. Still happy? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks very much,
Howard
I am running this same setup with a 35" spare and have had no issues. It was going to be a temporary solution until I can afford the or-fab, but it has been fine. Hopefully, ARB will come out with theirs before I start having tail gate problems. I am running ARB bumpers.

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options