Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 AM
zjk
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a pic. of my aev with a trail rack on it, going to put the Rotopax gas cans on next
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	128941  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zjk
Heres a pic. of my aev with a trail rack on it, going to put the Rotopax gas cans on next

.............Did you use the 3 mounting holes on top of the swing arm mast to bolt down the rack?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Here are a coulple pictures of my Mopar bumper and tire carrier:

Both (total) about $900 from a discount Mopar parts dealer online.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 AM
zjk
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jetspd67
.............Did you use the 3 mounting holes on top of the swing arm mast to bolt down the rack?
I had a bracket made bent tubing & welded the tubing to a plate just like the top of the mask and then bolted to the mask with the 3 holes, Then I bolted the rack on to the bracket
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	128950  
Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by ukie jk

I hear ya, but......

The problem I see with the or-fab is the way it mounts. Yes they reinforce it, but it you hang up on the tire, you will dimple, if not tweak the hell out of one, if not both corners .
http://www.orfab.com/instructions.ph...&currentpage=9
Here's an idea for you...
Go to the OR-Fab website and view the PDF. instructions for the tire carrier.
They've been making that carrier for along time now and it's stout. I ran it on my rig with a Walker Evans, Goodyear 37, hilift, and two gerry cans for a couple years. Even slapped and dragged it off a few waterfalls when wheeling, and I'm not dimpled or tweaked. It is not mounted to the doorside of the hinges at all. It actually is attached on the bodyside and has a bracket that attaches it to the factory cage.

The OR-Fab carrier requires drilling holes in the body of your jeep, what's your opinion on that?

Last edited by serveapurpose; 02-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Good deal! There aren't really too many choices out there that mount the way you desire... Good luck with your search and don't forget to post pics once you get one that meets your needs.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ukie jk

I have been looking for an alternative tire carrier myself, but having an extra latch to deal with to get into the gate is not appealing to me since mine is a daily driver and I go in and out of the back quite frequently.
I had the Mopar swing and it was sort of a pain to get in the back. I had to have the latch real tight, so it wouldnt make noise. If it was too tight my wife couldn't get in the back to put groceries in the back. Ya, it was a grocery getter once in awhile.

I agree with you though. The AEV, Expedition One, and other bumpers that attach to the tailgate would be a lot more handy.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justmegsb
Here are a coulple pictures of my Mopar bumper and tire carrier:

Both (total) about $900 from a discount Mopar parts dealer online.
Any regrets (rattling fitment quality)? I think I'm going with this solution as I can get the same price at a local dealer. I really love the Or-Fab but its more of a permanent solution since you need to drill into the body. No problem with that but "once you go Or-Fab you don't go back" Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you were to mount an or fab and decided later that it doesn't work you could put a plug of some sort where the one inch mounting block hole goes. The rest are pretty well hidden and could also be plugged. You could get a rubber washer and seal the hidden holes. The larger one would take something similar to rubber plugs/seals on the tailgate. Maybe not ideal, but do-able.

Last edited by _J__C_; 02-20-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Rear corner armor covers it up really nice too....

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options