Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one has the Hanson setup?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Smittybilt adjustable tire carrier that bolts right on in place of the stock one. It holds up to a 37" right up against the tailgate like the factory setup (except stronger) so there is NO bounce. As a bonus, it also relocates the 3rd taillight to fit over whatever size tire you're running.

I also picked up the MBRP reinforcing kit that replaces the tiny factory breakaway nuts holding the factory mount on. This kit spreads out the weight on the inside of the tailgate so the tailgate won't warp.

I could try and get some pics later if you're interested. Whole setup ran less than $150.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of getting an aftermarket tire carrier is take the weight off the tailgate???

What's the point in getting the Hanson if isn't even connected to the bumper??? It seems like a complete waste of money.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ukie jk
I appreciate your enthusiasm for OR-FAB products.

It's just not for me. I prefer something that will open and close with the tailgate.. Originally I liked the aev but was turned off by the offset wheel but after taking a look at the cad drawings I see there is a simple fix for that and most likely will end up with one of these on my ride.

I like the design better than most of the square tube stuff I have seen out there, and if I have to bust out the metal fab skills to tweak it and make it my own so be it. I like the minimalist design.

It's all good, that's what I love about this aspect of the hobby.
Yea dude, more power to you. I know exactly what you mean as far as having them move together. You gotta have what you want.

Originally Posted by jeepjackal
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of getting an aftermarket tire carrier is take the weight off the tailgate???

What's the point in getting the Hanson if isn't even connected to the bumper??? It seems like a complete waste of money.
That is a correct assessment of the Hansen product. It doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote this up for a PM, but thought I'd post it for everyone as well.

This is the Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier...

The tire is held on with just the one center screw. You can use a padlock for security.

You can see where the tire presses up against two metal bars to keep it secure and eliminate any kind of bounce:

I have mine installed in the middle of three holes. The top is used for a 33, the bottom for a 37. The 3rd taillight has a similar adjustment where it attaches.

Again, I also put on (and recommend) the MBRP spare tire bracket reinforcement kit which is on the inside of the tailgate (so I can't really get pics). It's part number 130903 in their catalog.

It all installed in just a couple hours. Most of that time was messing with the factory breakaway nuts to get the reinforcement brackets on. I plan for this to be a permanent fix, never intend to get a tire carrier. I think this is cleaner and it's definitely easier having only one thing to open to get in the back.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

What options would I have for a bumper/tire carrier/gas can carrier combo? I want a carrier that attaches to the bumper and has side mounted gas cans rather then the OR Fab design.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jetspd67
My tire on the AEV carrier is centered...............

Attachment 126030
How did you center the tire?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ARB will have a swing out tire mount this summer!

I too have front & rear ARB bumpers and I contacted them to see if they had any ideas. They told me that they were planing a swing out tire carrier in Summer 2011. If you come up with a swing out idea, rotopak carrier and maybe a rack, please PM me as I am here is LA too.

Originally Posted by ukie jk
The Hanson carrier attaches to the hinges and the gate. In theory this would help distribute the load better by attaching to the hinges and trying it all together to the gate stiffening it up also. But...now we are adding stress to the hinge area without adding anything to reinforce that area.

The orfab takes this a step further by reinforcing the hinge side corner since it is independent of the tailgate.

Last edited by beadbus; 02-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kntr
How did you center the tire?

Check your PM...........
Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dronac
What options would I have for a bumper/tire carrier/gas can carrier combo? I want a carrier that attaches to the bumper and has side mounted gas cans rather then the OR Fab design.

The guys at AEV are suppose to be working on this issue. Maybe send DH an email and see if you can get an update.

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options