Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
This bumper/carrier looks exactly what I've been looking for. Where did you find this? I didn't see it on Benchmark's site. Does Benchmark have a time frame? I saw on their site that they said mid-February on just the mid-width sport bumper.

This combo looks great.
PM Benchmark, right now the only thing they have up on their site for this is the front sport midwith and the rear sport bumper in CAD/ PICs. They have already started shipping the front sport midwith bumper and the rear is in the production phase now along with the tire carrier. PM them and ask for further details.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jetspd67
My tire on the AEV carrier is centered...............

Attachment 126030
Did this involve some fab work ???
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aermotor
The BIGGEST problem I see with the AEV is if you ever plan to get a new rear bumper you are pretty much SOL... unless you drop big bank ($900+!!!!!!!!!) for an AEV one. Still, I don't like that setup at all. Every single one I've seen till that guy above is offset too, so I'd be wary. Are people seriously shelling out around $700 for the carrier alone too? My god.

I preach OR-Fab all day cause their prices are literally insane compared to the competition and their product is so good. Around $350 for their rear bumper and around $500 for their carrier. It's a no brainer to me: Spend a little more than the cost of the AEV and have a new rear bumper as well.
I completely agree with you. I've had my OR-Fab carrier for a few months now and I absolutely love it. I'll post some pics in a minute
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a terrible pic, I know. I haven't had a chance to snap any others. Look, it's snowing in Austin!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ukie jk
I hear ya, but......

The problem I see with the or-fab is the way it mounts. Yes they reinforce it, but it you hang up on the tire, you will dimple, if not tweak the hell out of one, if not both corners .

Where as with the aev, you might take out the tailgate, which is easier to replace IMO.

Just my two cents, I like the orfab, having the cans there is nice too. But the way it mounts is what bugs.

You honestly need to see one in person before making that assumption... The tire is almost moved up 5" which puts it well out of harms way.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aermotor
You honestly need to see one in person before making that assumption... The tire is almost moved up 5" which puts it well out of harms way.
I had wondered about this too, but it did seem to sit a little higher in all the pics I've seen. I don't have mine mounted yet, so I wasn't sure just how far up. It's good to know.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so glad I saw this thread! I've been looking for another option for the spare that Doest attach to the bumper and I'm going with the or-fab swing away. Ordering it as we speak!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Did this involve some fab work ???
How did you get that centered?

I designed and fab'd a new spindle mount that works with the AEV carrier. It allows a 35-37 inch tire to be centered on the rear of the tailgate. It also lowers the tire a few inches for better visibility. The new mounting spindle works well with the AEV CHMSL and does not interfere with any of the functions of the tire carrier.

I have had the new spindle mount on my Jeep for approximately a year to test for quality and durability prior to being released for sale.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I would stay away from benchmark at this point. Take a look at Jeepersjeep thread. I think you will avoid after reading what a pain in the a it's been.....
Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

I just install my Or Fab a couple of weeks ago. I love it. It has a place for you High Lift also. It really depends on your needs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2328779173.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	126467  

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options