Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody likes the expedition one?!?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snopro269
Nobody likes the expedition one?!?
I think it looks great and probably functions better than I can imagine. But my budget can't handle the price. For the money, I can get what I have plus many more things. If I could afford it, it would be on my list.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well here's my choice, I'm still waiting on production but Benchmade I feel is right on the money for this one. I've also order the Sport Mid-with Bumper that matches the rear sport bumper with tire carrier option. What do you think of it??
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oops, that's Benchmark I meant...lol Sorry fellas!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you gonna fab that yourself? Looks like a blend of the rancho(not knocking it) with a little better look, storage and probably built tougher.

e: ah, as I typed it was answered.

Last edited by _J__C_; 02-09-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
Well here's my choice, I'm still waiting on production but Benchmade I feel is right on the money for this one. I've also order the Sport Mid-with Bumper that matches the rear sport bumper with tire carrier option. What do you think of it??
This bumper/carrier looks exactly what I've been looking for. Where did you find this? I didn't see it on Benchmark's site. Does Benchmark have a time frame? I saw on their site that they said mid-February on just the mid-width sport bumper.

This combo looks great.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
It seems like the independent swinging of the OR-Fab carrier and tailgate would be a pain in the a$$ after awhile if you are in and out of the cargo area often like i am. You have to pull a pin, open the latch, swing open the carrier before you can open the tailgate ??? That's why I went with AEV... access to the cargo area is no different than stock...just my

I agree. The AEV system works flawlessly.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ukie jk
So are the Hanson and OR-FAB the only two tire carriers out there that are bumper independent? The AEV is nice and all, but the fact that it ends up off center doesn't float my boat.

I did a bunch of googlein', and so far these are the only two that I found. I saw that RR has something but its set up to bolt to their bumper (which i don't want).

Funny this thread popped up, I was just going to start the same one.
My tire on the AEV carrier is centered...............

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1860.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	126030
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jetspd67
My tire on the AEV carrier is centered...............

Attachment 126030
How did you get that centered?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BIGGEST problem I see with the AEV is if you ever plan to get a new rear bumper you are pretty much SOL... unless you drop big bank ($900+!!!!!!!!!) for an AEV one. Still, I don't like that setup at all. Every single one I've seen till that guy above is offset too, so I'd be wary. Are people seriously shelling out around $700 for the carrier alone too? My god.

I preach OR-Fab all day cause their prices are literally insane compared to the competition and their product is so good. Around $350 for their rear bumper and around $500 for their carrier. It's a no brainer to me: Spend a little more than the cost of the AEV and have a new rear bumper as well.

Last edited by aermotor; 02-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options