Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier Options

Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ludski
the point of getting a rear tire carrier attached to bumper is to relieve stress from the hinge for tail gate, as off roading, and daily driving will have tire bounce and put stress on it.
will the Fab carrier help to relieve that stress? or will it basically not do anything besides look cool?
Amen......
Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will the Fab carrier help to relieve that stress? or will it basically not do anything besides look cool?
Are you talking about the OR-Fab one?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

No offense, but you actually have no clue how the OR-Fab one works then is all. The one in the original post looks like a POS. THAT ONE only attaches to the hinges and looks terrible.

The OR-Fab one has an enormous 3/16" steel plate backet on the exterior and multiple reinforcement brackets that mount inside of the body which it's custom hinges are THEN mounted from. It could not be more independent from the OEM hinges; it has nothing to do with them.

The only thing hanging from the stock hinges is the tailgate which weighs maybe 20lbs at most, all of the weight is taken off of it and the OR-Fab one is a completely separate, massive, beefy hinge assembly.

Last edited by aermotor; 02-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

well then its a good thing i commented on here then and figured it out. where can i find one? and price on it?
Haha yea totally. Call Dave at Northridge 4x4, he's got the best pricing around: (360) 340-0282

Trying to post a video of the carrier and the hinges I just made so you can see it in more detail as there isn't much specific info out there on it. Stand by...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Here's a quick vid I threw together, hopefully this gives you some better insight. So sorry for the annoying chewing at the beginning lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZGebn5S54
Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

great video. quick question.
i doubt you can, but worth a try.
can you open rear door and carrier at same time? or no?
cause i know the AEV rear carrier has that kind of technology in it where it opens with the actual rear door. instead of one at a time.
wouldnt make a difference for me. just curious.

I wish it could but no it doesn't. They or someone else might offer a linkage that could join them, but I don't think so at the moment. I will send that as a question to them and see if it's ever a possibility.

One problem with it is that the tailgate and the carrier swing on a different radius, so say the side edge of the tailgate and carrier are flush while closed as you open them both the carrier's radius gets larger and it "elongates" from the tailgate. Not sure if that makes total sense or not...

Last edited by aermotor; 02-09-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

great video. quick question.
i doubt you can, but worth a try.
can you open rear door and carrier at same time? or no?
cause i know the AEV rear carrier has that kind of technology in it where it opens with the actual rear door. instead of one at a time.
wouldnt make a difference for me. just curious.
It seems like the independent swinging of the OR-Fab carrier and tailgate would be a pain in the a$$ after awhile if you are in and out of the cargo area often like i am. You have to pull a pin, open the latch, swing open the carrier before you can open the tailgate ??? That's why I went with AEV... access to the cargo area is no different than stock...just my
Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
It seems like the independent swinging of the OR-Fab carrier and tailgate would be a pain in the a$$ after awhile if you are in and out of the cargo area often like i am. You have to pull a pin, open the latch, swing open the carrier before you can open the tailgate ??? That's why I went with AEV... access to the cargo area is no different than stock...just my
The clasp we have on the carrier is an "over fulcrum" style clasp that will stay closed unless it's physically moved (ie. Something has to push it to the open position). It will not rattle loose while driving or even while bouncing on the trail. We supply the hitch pin because often people take their vehicles to shops and car wash facilities were "others" are opening the carrier. Having the hitch pin is really an added saftey measure. OR-Fab has been making this stlye carrier dating back to the YJs and we've learned to supply items to help owners avoid headaches.

You're absolutely correct that the carrier swings indepently of the Jeep's gate.

Yates
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
It's definitely not just a push-button system with the carrier, and I can understand your frustration as I have that too sometimes, but it's something I live with for how my setup works, and I really don't mind it. I definitely hear you though, it is nice to have it be a simple one-move operation.

As Yates said, the pin isn't necessary, just an added level is all.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like reading all of this. I should be installing my OR-Fab in a few weeks!

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Options