Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Carrier - Height of Spare

Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Carrier - Height of Spare

Saw this pic of an after-market rear bumper and tire carrier (w/ Toyo 35" mounted) that doesn't shove the spare up to the top of the roof line, thereby allowing continued use of the rear mirror. Does anyone know if there are other rear bumpers similarly configured?

Attachment 11891

I know folks say that the high spare mount position is for departure angle, but I can't help believing that most of these tire carriers are designed for the guys running something like 44" tires - which need the extra height - and not because a 35" tire needs to be four feet off the ground to avoid contact. Along the same lines, does anyone make a carrier that is adjustable for height?

Thanks for your thought/inputs.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Highrock (bestop) http://www.quadratec.com/products/12050_210_07.htm is a good one, thats what I'm using also Pure Jeep makes a nice bumper, but it takes them a while to make it and ship it.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Saw this pic of an after-market rear bumper and tire carrier (w/ Toyo 35" mounted) that doesn't shove the spare up to the top of the roof line, thereby allowing continued use of the rear mirror. Does anyone know if there are other rear bumpers similarly configured?

Attachment 11891

I know folks say that the high spare mount position is for departure angle, but I can't help believing that most of these tire carriers are designed for the guys running something like 44" tires - which need the extra height - and not because a 35" tire needs to be four feet off the ground to avoid contact. Along the same lines, does anyone make a carrier that is adjustable for height?

Thanks for your thought/inputs.
Taken from another thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...kworks&page=12

"The stock hitch is retained to tuck the bumper up and in as much as possible (butted to the bottom of the frame) so you can choose to remove it for more clearance if you don't use it. If the hitch is behind the cross member, you have to boat deck the bumper, it if goes above the cross member you raise the tire about 3", raising COG and reducing visibility.

As mentioned before (and pictured) the tire mount is adjustable vertically for different sized tires and in and out for different backspaced wheels. The lower setting of the (extra holes shown in pic) set the tire at stock tailgate tire mount height. "
Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lc619fr
Highrock (bestop) http://www.quadratec.com/products/12050_210_07.htm is a good one, thats what I'm using also Pure Jeep makes a nice bumper, but it takes them a while to make it and ship it.
Thanks. Do you have a pic of it mounted on your JK?

That's sort of what I was looking for, but was also wondering if there were other "integrated" bumper/tire carriers that kept the spare closer to the stock height (see Mopar in posted pic). Anyone?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ToyFamily
Taken from another thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...kworks&page=12

"The stock hitch is retained to tuck the bumper up and in as much as possible (butted to the bottom of the frame) so you can choose to remove it for more clearance if you don't use it. If the hitch is behind the cross member, you have to boat deck the bumper, it if goes above the cross member you raise the tire about 3", raising COG and reducing visibility.

As mentioned before (and pictured) the tire mount is adjustable vertically for different sized tires and in and out for different backspaced wheels. The lower setting of the (extra holes shown in pic) set the tire at stock tailgate tire mount height. "
Thanks. Sounds like it's worth a look.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Default High rock bumper

this is a picture of my highrock rear bumper

Last edited by lc619fr; 08-18-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lc619fr
This is a picture of my Highrock rear bumper
Thanks. Are you using the below pictured HighRock tire carrier? Anyone else?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighRock Tire Carrier.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	11913

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 08-18-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

not yet but It's one of the many things on my wish list

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier - Height of Spare