Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire carrier attached or not to gate

Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire carrier attached or not to gate

I've been looking at front and rear bumpers and thought I had decided on a rear bumper with a tire carrier but then I started thinking. (Which always seems to get me into trouble). Has anyone with a tire carrier separate from the tailgate had any regrets with not getting one that opens with the tailgate? It seems like when you want to open the tailgate you have to move the carrier first and then open the tailgate. Any pros or cons? Or is there any concern with movement between the frame and body which might cause problems if the carrier was tied to the gate? Thanks for any words of wisdom anyone might have.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

I would be more inclined to get an attached tire carrier on a 2 door than an Unlimited. With a 2 door you are always back there and with 4 doors you have the option of easily putting short term storage items in through the rear doors.

The Expedition One bumper is definitely nice on either, and if you find yourself opening the rear door a ton, probably the right way to travel.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

I had a ARB on my TJ which required me opening both to get in the back & to me it was always a pain. This is why i opted for the Expo One & have loved having it very easy & a high quality piece
Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've looked at the Expedition One. Very nice looking bumper. I wasn't planning on going that much on a rear bumper. I'm also looking at a front bumper and winch and wanted to keep on a budget. Although I think for the hassle of opening the carrier and then the tailgate it might be worth a couple of hundred more. Does any know of any other bumpers that tie to the tailgate? I've seen a new design aluminum that looks interesting but it may be too new for me to try.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's Aberle Off Road or something like that. I believe this is the bumper that I saw a couple of videos that show the strength of the carrier. One concern that I have is it is new, I haven't heard much feedback, good or bad.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randy payne
check this 1 out homemade and i like itAttachment 38232
That is pretty cool, is there storage under it in what looks like a can?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by randy payne
check this 1 out homemade and i like itAttachment 38232
That looks great! Got any more pics?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

If you don't plan to run anything larger than a 33" tire, then I would stick with the stock location and a Woods shock kit for the door. I actually just removed my swing out from my Mopar offroad bumper and went back to stock due to the swing out being such a P.I.T.A. But I don't plan to ever run anything bigger than a 33" tire.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AEV unit also attaches the tire carrier to the tailgate. I've seen both in person and IMO, the mechanism on the AEV is better because it is more adjustable.

AEV also sells the tire carrier by itself and it can be adapted to most bumpers including the stock one.

However, I do prefer the design of the Expedition One bumper itself.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opening the gate in one motion is great, no doubt. The connection between the frame and body is a valid point of concern. That being said I have not heard anyone report damage. I own the exp one and do recommend the quality and design.

Quick Reply: Tire carrier attached or not to gate