Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire balancing beads

Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that Dyna Beads and other types of inside the tire balancing stuff could be a problem if you plan to air down for off road use.

Anybody run into this problem???
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

some require special valve stems to air down other methods do not.

i ran airsoft pellets in my 35's and i took them back out. they were alot of trouble to get out and mess with redoing my beadlocks again and i still took them out. it takes me about 45 min a tire to mount them alone. i would not recomend air soft pellets or the other stuff i just don't think it works. i would think anti freeze for rv's might be a better way but i will just stick to lead on the rim.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xj2000
I use dynabeads with AEV beadlocks and 37" BFG KM2's. The main reason was because the beadlocks were assembled by myself and balanced without going to any tire shop.The dynabeads work good if you go slow on turns starting from a stop, like pulling onto a road from a side street. If you don't... the beads will spread toward one side and you will get a vibration around 40-50 mph. I used 12 ounces a tire. I think it depends on how the beads spread out inside the tire. All you have to do is pull over and stop and then start out going straight again and everything will be fine. It just takes a little getting used to. I just got back from a trip to California and Utah for 3 weeks and probably only stopped for the beads to redistribute maybe 4-5 times. Over all I am pleased because if you watch how you drive they work the majority of the time, and I don't have to worry about weights coming off when offroad. For my 35 BFG AT's on stock wheels, that I use for my DD, I just had them balanced with lead weights by the tire shop.
Great feedback thanks! I was wondering the same thing since we want to redo our beadlocks and I want to try and avoid having a shop do it!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xj2000
I use dynabeads with AEV beadlocks and 37" BFG KM2's. The main reason was because the beadlocks were assembled by myself and balanced without going to any tire shop.The dynabeads work good if you go slow on turns starting from a stop, like pulling onto a road from a side street. If you don't... the beads will spread toward one side and you will get a vibration around 40-50 mph. I used 12 ounces a tire. I think it depends on how the beads spread out inside the tire. All you have to do is pull over and stop and then start out going straight again and everything will be fine. It just takes a little getting used to. I just got back from a trip to California and Utah for 3 weeks and probably only stopped for the beads to redistribute maybe 4-5 times. Over all I am pleased because if you watch how you drive they work the majority of the time, and I don't have to worry about weights coming off when offroad. For my 35 BFG AT's on stock wheels, that I use for my DD, I just had them balanced with lead weights by the tire shop.
Originally Posted by Rub61
I would think that Dyna Beads and other types of inside the tire balancing stuff could be a problem if you plan to air down for off road use.

Anybody run into this problem???
The Dyna Beads come in a offroad size. That is what I used. They are a little larger than the beads for cars/motercyce. No problem airing down...I don't think they are large enough to go through the valve stem.

Quick Reply: Tire balancing beads