Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire balancing beads

Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire balancing beads

Is anyone here running tire balancing beads in there tires?

I just bought a set of used Nitto Mud Grappler, 33x12.50/17's and I am wondering if the balancing beads is something I should be looking at using.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also tried the equal powder and had the shop vacuum it back out after 2 weeks.. The jeep just did not feel solid.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Dynabeads....?.....Airsoft pellets....?.....golf balls....?....anyone?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put Dynabeads in a new set of KM2 38x14.50's and was very impressed at how well the tirs are balanced. I have been up to 70 so far and no vibrations.

Chris
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

So it kind of sounds like it won't be necessary or needed.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used dynabeads and equal... with sypderlocks and 37" mud grapplers... the dynabeads worked good some days and other days i would get a vibration around 40-50 mph..i used 10ounces a tire... i think it depended on how the beads spread out inside the tire... their are big ridges inside the tire the beads get stuck in ... i think was the problem.. so anyway i took them out and drove without any beads or weights etc.... and it drove perfect very smooth.. when i used equal in the past with the same combo it worked great.. but Ive heard if you get moisture in the tire it clumps up ..

Last edited by blockrockin; 11-18-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed the same thing in my old truck. I had it lifted on 37's and used the dynabeads to balance them. I hated it. One trip they would shake and vibrate like hell and the next trip they would be smooth. I put 35's on the Jeep now and was asked by the shop if i wanted the beads again. I made it clear that i did not want them. My 35's took hardly any weight to balance and they ride smooth, no vibrations at all.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

i ran 8 oz of air soft pellets in my 35 x12.50 procomps,, loved them
Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

I use dynabeads with AEV beadlocks and 37" BFG KM2's. The main reason was because the beadlocks were assembled by myself and balanced without going to any tire shop.The dynabeads work good if you go slow on turns starting from a stop, like pulling onto a road from a side street. If you don't... the beads will spread toward one side and you will get a vibration around 40-50 mph. I used 12 ounces a tire. I think it depends on how the beads spread out inside the tire. All you have to do is pull over and stop and then start out going straight again and everything will be fine. It just takes a little getting used to. I just got back from a trip to California and Utah for 3 weeks and probably only stopped for the beads to redistribute maybe 4-5 times. Over all I am pleased because if you watch how you drive they work the majority of the time, and I don't have to worry about weights coming off when offroad. For my 35 BFG AT's on stock wheels, that I use for my DD, I just had them balanced with lead weights by the tire shop.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xj2000
I use dynabeads with AEV beadlocks and 37" BFG KM2's. The main reason was because the beadlocks were assembled by myself and balanced without going to any tire shop...(snip)
This is exactly the scenario that makes me interested in "alternative" balancing methods. Thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: Tire balancing beads