Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire balance beads

Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 35in Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17in Beadlocks right now. I mounted and balanced the wheels and tires myself. I used one 8oz bag of Dynabeads per tire. So far I have wheeled it twice and put about 1500 miles on them without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail ride 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	323907   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels and lift on.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	323908  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I'm running 35in Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17in Beadlocks right now. I mounted and balanced the wheels and tires myself. I used one 8oz bag of Dynabeads per tire. So far I have wheeled it twice and put about 1500 miles on them without any issues.
My goal would also be to be able to mount/balance myself... Do you notice any difference on the street with the beads?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 35/12.50 r20 n I have 6oz in each tire and there the best thing I ever used. I've had them up to 80mph and theres no shake n moderate off road n there greAt I put them in my self n the only thing I would say is dump them in threw the bead I tryed threw the valve stem n one tire took me 30 min to put 8oz in
Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
running dynabeads on a stock rim with Hankook 315/70/17 MTs.
these particular tires are not well balanced and took a lot of weight to balance tradionally and I'm currently at 12oz. of beads and it needs more. my recommendation, research a tire that requires little or no balancing if you want to run beads
I read that you should use 1 oz per 10 pounds of tire (without rim). Other posters that are happy are using 6-8 ounces, is it possible you actually have too much weight? Have you tried 6-8 ounces before?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I've seen Air Soft bb's work really well. Most of the guys running bead locks have em. However, I also know a guy who shaved his kevlars after 15k miles and he said it was like a new tires. They only shave 2 or 3 thousands of an inch, but he said it made a huge difference. Maybe go this route.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

l. had dynabeads installed in my new fierce attitudes and took it back asap and had them removed and got em balanced with weights . the dynabeads were ok till about 50 mph and then a lil noticeable shake set in i didnt like them
Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running them for 3 years, in two sets of ture/wheel... One creepy crawler 35x12.5x15 steel wheel and now 35x12.5x16 stock sport wheel...
Only one problem, they can stuck the stem valve a little...
But, everything else is ok... No shaking... Until 80mph, cause I did not test faster...
I will continue using it for sure!!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have them in my Nitto mud grap 33's with MT classic II and no problems.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally really like balance beads but there are a few things you need to do for them to work properly.

First beads are to balance a tire not your wheels. If all you are doing is mounting your tire then tossing in beads don't expect great results.

You will need to first balance the wheel. Without tires on. I prefer to measure with stick on weights first on the back side of the rim then go back and replace those with clean low heat welds running with the rotation of the tire.

After the wheels are balanced i mount the tire then start indexing the tire/wheel together. I use two tall floor jacks with a heavy pipe between them. The pipe rests on two bearings and the wheel sits on the pipe. Indexing involves aligning the high and low balance of the difference between the wheel and tire. You just slowly rotate the assembly and start marking the heavy stops with chalk on the tire. Rotate the tire on the wheel until you determine the pattern. Adjust so the polars are opposite.this should automatically account for out of round on the tire given the lower tire pressures that are being used for off road tires. For other applications you would address that first as you are indexing.

After you are done indexing the wheel and tire together then you add the beads. The size of the bead relative to the size and style of tire is very important. A large heavy mud tire is going to need a large heavier bead because it needs the increase in density of weight to counter the out of balance condition. Think about how much lead weight you can need to balance out a tire. Do you really think a little bag of bbs are going to work instead? No of course not. You also need something that is dense and can concentrate the weight. I mean you were using lead before so it needs to be dense material to focus the weight where it's needed. For beads i use silver pachinko balls. They are very dense material and are a good size for mud tires. They are like tiny little pinballs and are not insanely costly.

If you give this method a try I'm sure you will use it again in the future.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

I had trouble getting my Iroks to balance and researched using Dynabeads, but I couldn't find anyone who had them locally that was happy. After a bunch of research I found the only shop in town with a Hunter Roadforce machine and a tech who knew how to use it. Now my Iroks run as smooth as my Duratracs with no vibration at any speed.

Quick Reply: tire balance beads