Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire on an automatic transmission

Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire on an automatic transmission

hello, increase the size of the tire on an automatic transmission it is likely to deteriorate. is what Jeep has scheduled a special setting of the auto box, depending on the size of tire?

escuse me translate french/english by google.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepinfrance
hello, increase the size of the tire on an automatic transmission it is likely to deteriorate. is what Jeep has scheduled a special setting of the auto box, depending on the size of tire?

The shift points on the auto transmission are set to a specific size tire but it won't hurt the transmission to run larger tires. There are after market products (AVE Pro Cal, Superchips, Hypertech) that address adjusting shift points to tire size and gear ratio.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepinfrance

Not positive, but it sounds like you're concerned with damaging the transmission and changing the automatic transmission shift points if you switch to bigger tires.

By re-gearing, you relieve the additional strain put on the transmission and by adding a transmission cooler, you prevent the automatic transmission from running too hot and frying your torque converter.

With regards to the shift points, most after-market programmer chips will adjust your computer to accommodate for the larger tires. As the person before me mentioned, I'd recommend the AEV Procal. It will also adjust for a new gear ratio, among other things.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

thank you for your help
Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

What size tires do you want to run and what gears do you have?

Quick Reply: tire on an automatic transmission