Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire almost came off...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xYike
WOW! Help a n00b out ... where can I read more on this? Bolt that goes on both directions? I no understand. (I had a shop install my spacers but I installed it for my spare - most likely less danger there but would still like to know.
I believe it is the same concept as the tapered lugnut itself. If you use a flat nut is will work itself out, if you use a tapered nut is helps to lock it in place. It is important to know the mounting surface. The attached is just for concept, not Jeep specific

Click image for larger version

Name:	acorn-mag-ball-seats[1].jpg
Views:	231
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	265267
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You did loctite the bolts right? I check the bolts and re- torque them every oil change which is every 3k and honestly they haven't budged. And absolutely do not drive it the way it is...have it towed
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tow for sure and yes, you will need to re-apply loctite. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont forget to check all of the others. If you installed the nuts upside down on one, you probably did it on the others.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 20Rubicon07
Yes, I did but since I installed the nut the wrong way, I guess it didn't matter. Now when you check your spidertrax are you getting any movement and if you did do, do you reapply that stuff? Because it does " break the seal" once you retighten them correct? Or does it even matter.
When it comes time to recheck the spacers tightness, just set your torque wrench to ~90 ft/lbs if you notice the lug nut move then reapply the locktite and tighten to the recommended 95 ft/lbs. If it doesnt then your good to go....Glad no one was hurt....x2 on towing it....
Old 01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the exact same thing happen when I had these on my TJ. Yep, I put on the spacer lug nuts on wrong.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Another vote for towing it...VERY dangerous to drive it like that!

I have the same spacers on my Sahara. I tighten them every time the tires get rotated. I also use an impact wrench when I tighten them just to be sure.
I wouldn't recommend tightening them repeatedly with an impact, as you have no idea what torque is on them and you could end up yielding the studs. Any decent impact is capable of torquing the studs beyond what they are capable of and could result in the studs failing.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IR Tools

I wouldn't recommend tightening them repeatedly with an impact, as you have no idea what torque is on them and you could end up yielding the studs. Any decent impact is capable of torquing the studs beyond what they are capable of and could result in the studs failing.
Agree. I would only use a torque wrench to tighten them
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IR Tools

+1 I use the impact wrench with a Torque Stick (70lb.ft) and then tighten with the torque wrench. Also do this for all other bolts.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Agree. I would only use a torque wrench to tighten them
X3. I've used an impact on every vehicle I've ever owned, but after last weeks experience having to replaced 7 of the 10 rear axle studs, I'll be using a torque wrench from here on out.

Quick Reply: Tire almost came off...