Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire advice/opinions

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire advice/opinions

Ok guys. Need your help again. About to order a new set of tires. 315/75r16. I have a few choices but not sure which ones. You input would help. I go rock crawling and trail riding on weekends, and street driving on the week days. Here are my choices I like. Nitto mud grappler. Toyo m/t, general grabber red lettering, and bfg km2. What do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

I have never had the Toyo's on a Jeep since I just bought my first jeep but have had them on 4 different trucks of mine and loved them. They wear good and are pretty quiet. I have had one set of the Nitto Mud Grapplers and they were really loud so I wouldn't recommend them if you are going to do a lot of highway driving. They were very good in the mud though. I have a friend that has the Trail Grapplers though and they are very much like the Toyos.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm thinking of the toyos myself, in a 37 if I hear more that they wear good
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Me too thinking about a 37. All I would need to do is chop the fenders and possible 1" body lift. Thinking. Only thing I hate about body lifts is the bumper gaps
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Maxxis Bighorn

Due to budgetary concerns, I couldn't justify the high dollar names. Started looking around at the less expensive options and found the Maxxis Bighorn. Good reviews, and good all around performance so far. Haven't been in mud, but they do fine on trails and street, good in snow, they are siped and are studdable, and perform decent on ice for an aggressive tire. Paid $170 each, vs $270 for KM2 and MTR/K in the same size. That extra 500 was much better spent elsewhere.

Only complaints are that they run small. My 315/75/16's measure out to a bit over 33.5 on my heavy unlimited. (about the same as a KM2, from what I have read?) And the siping is fairly shallow, so I will probably re-sipe the center lugs if I don't move up to 37's.

You could do worse.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 for the Bighorns. I've run mine in a lot of mud and they do awesome. Done rock crawling/dirt/mud/snow/street and they perform great in all cases. Haven't found an obstacle that I can't do that others do with different tires.

Yes, they do run a bit small and they are similar to the KM2's as I've compared them to my brother in law that runs those.

I thought I got a great deal on my Bighorns at $164 a piece which was the "cost" price a buddy got from his company's distributor. NTHINUF - did you buy retail or did you have connections? And yes, mine are the 315/75/16 size as well.

Maxxis makes great tires. Not sure why more people don't buy them. Their Trepador tire is awesome looking as well (just a lot more money). Similar to the Pro Comp Xterrain.

Bighorn

Trepador

Last edited by mpkelley20; 03-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire advice/opinions