Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tips for removing stock control arm bolts?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tips for removing stock control arm bolts?

hey all,

im about to install my AEV drop brackets as i just installed a teraflex 2.5" coil lift on my JKU and im looking for advice on removing my stock control arm bolts.

My JK is already 6 years old and the bolts havent moved since its build date and i cant get any movement on them. I already let them soak in some wd-40 and even borrowed a friends breaker bar.

Any other suggestions for removing these!?

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Adam
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air tools work wonders. But if you cant get ahold of some try PB BLASTER. Its helped me remove old bolts on my cj7
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of guys fight and fight with control arm bolts whether taking them out or installing them. If you get the holes to line up then they usually come out with ease. The way to get them to line up is to raise the front or rear of the differential. Usually you have to lift on the pinion side. Once the Jeep is lifted and you have the nut off the control arm bolt put a jack under the pinion. Start raising it slowly and the bolt will usually come out with just pulling on it. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Think he's having issues getting the old bolts out. Not getting holes to line up.

I used a cordless impact wrench that is capable of 450ft Ibs. If you don't have an impact, try heating the bolt up a bit or PB blaster as others have said.

If all else fails, get a bigger breaker bar. Worst case, order the northridge bolt kit and then just cut the bolts off!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use the handle of a floor jack or a long pipe and slide it on the breaker bar for leverage. I need to get myself a cordless impact but gone this long without one...

When I took mine off I just used a socket wrench and handle from my floor jack. Shouldn't need to but liquid wrench can help. Dead blow hammer to break up corrosion if you have to.

Last edited by Canibeat; 01-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed these a while back. Didnt have much of a problem getting most of the bolts out, and dont have any advice that has not already been stated. But, The upper control arm bolt on the passenger side will run into the exhaust when you start taking it out. I had to cut the bolt and buy a new one. Just FYI.

Also many people say these worked for them, but they didnt for me. Now i have LCAs...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Impact wrench. I wouldn't even try it without one. If you are going to be working on your jeep it's worth the investment.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Do one side at a time
Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

We live in New England. PB blast the crap out of them for a few days!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haha thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've tried an impact to no avail but pb blaster sounds like my next choice

I'm more so worried about my front right upper near the exhaust as I can't fit an impact or breaker bar up there..anyone have any trick on getting that one out?! Thanks

Quick Reply: tips for removing stock control arm bolts?