Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tips for Removing/Repairing Leaking Transmission Lines?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Removing/Repairing Leaking Transmission Lines?

My crimp fittings are leaking however; I have installed a B&M cooler so the dealer recall fix is not an option. After researching various threads on JK-Forum, I have decided the best fix is to:

1. Remove the lines from the Jeep (for better access)
2. Cut off the crimped ends with a tubing cutter
3. Replace with 3/8” tube-to-barb adapters

My JEGS shopping cart is shown below.

Any tips from other Jeepers for performing this fix? It looks like the lines should come off easy and that will make the job easier.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Don't know

This isn't something I've done, but when asking a friend he suggested tossing out the hose that comes with the kit and using stainless steel braided hose. Personally, I don't know if its worth the extra cost, but he looked at it as insurance.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
I would think that you would qualify for the recall even with the B&M cooler.
I have thought about taking it into the dealer just to see what they would do. Thing is, others on this site have had their lines replaced twice or even three times with the same result. I think I would rather do the work myself and save the hassle of taking it to the dealer, especially when the parts will be well under $100. I'll pick my battles with my dealer and take it to them when something catastrophic fails.

Has anyone had success replacing the lines under warranty with their aftermarket cooler installed?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Transmission Lines Repair

So how did your repair go. I do not see an update on it. I just bought my 2010 unlimited and I have the same issue. From what I have seen your fix seems to be the best solution. I would love to hear how it went and lasted. Thanks

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
My crimp fittings are leaking however; I have installed a B&M cooler so the dealer recall fix is not an option. After researching various threads on JK-Forum, I have decided the best fix is to:

1. Remove the lines from the Jeep (for better access)
2. Cut off the crimped ends with a tubing cutter
3. Replace with 3/8” tube-to-barb adapters

My JEGS shopping cart is shown below.

Any tips from other Jeepers for performing this fix? It looks like the lines should come off easy and that will make the job easier.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am not for sure but think there might be a recall on the auto lines. It would be worth a check to see.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I am not for sure but think there might be a recall on the auto lines. It would be worth a check to see.
OP reads that there was an aftermarket cooler installed. No option for the recall?

Quick Reply: Tips for Removing/Repairing Leaking Transmission Lines?