Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tips on installing a trektop in the cold

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on installing a trektop in the cold

I am getting ready to install my trek top tomorrow. this will be my first soft top and am looking for any tips from the soft top veterans we have one here. My biggest worry is the temperature. Bestop recommends intall in 75 degree + weather, tomorrow has a high of 62. its is about the warmest and driest day we will see here for a wile.

I was thinking about finding and underground parking garage and doing it there, think this is overkill?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just install one on my wife's Jku a few weeks ago, granted I live in Hawaii. It's still a pain the first time. My tips would be when you installing the rear tention bar and springs to have the sunrider in the open position. Then follow the instructions about the back windows. The rear tailgate bar is a bit%* no matter what the weather is!! Good luck that top is awesome!! Pm if you have any other questions
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my Trektop NX this past weekend. When they say 75 degrees...they mean 75 degrees! I got my top on a Friday (it was 45 degrees) and it was a no go, not even close. So I put the top inside on the kitchen floor and raised the heat up to 74 degrees. Went out Saturday morning (now 55 degrees and rising) and it was a no go, still not even close. So, I put the jeep in the garage and opened to the door between the house and the garage and turned the heat up to 76 degrees to try and warm up the garage. Sunday morning came along and I was BARELY able to get it put on with a whole lot of pulling, grunting, and stretching!

But man, was it worth it! lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by curtisc19
I just installed my Trektop NX this past weekend. When they say 75 degrees...they mean 75 degrees! I got my top on a Friday (it was 45 degrees) and it was a no go, not even close. So I put the top inside on the kitchen floor and raised the heat up to 74 degrees. Went out Saturday morning (now 55 degrees and rising) and it was a no go, still not even close. So, I put the jeep in the garage and opened to the door between the house and the garage and turned the heat up to 76 degrees to try and warm up the garage. Sunday morning came along and I was BARELY able to get it put on with a whole lot of pulling, grunting, and stretching!

But man, was it worth it! lol.
that was what i was afraid of. i dont have a garage to put it in
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I'd hate to pay your power or gas bill this month!!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can try laying the top out in direct sunlight on concrete or blacktop for a few hours if you have a safe place for it. But if its too cold and you don't need it try to wait for summer.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just looking at your profile, is your jeep in northern California? Just find someone with one of those cushy heated patios and heat the top up on that!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't tighten it fully at first, keep the jeep running with heater full blast. Do the install in the warm sun. Pre-heat your top inside the house, make sure you know how to put in before going out.

Over-all though, you'll likely tear something somewhere by putting it on in cold weather. You'll be surprised how easy it is to damage your soft top.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 388charlie
Wow I'd hate to pay your power or gas bill this month!!
Yeah, I am dreading that too! Lol
Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

ok so i gave it a shot today. warmed the pieces in the house than then blasted the head throughout the install. surprisingly everything came together relatively easily. though i must say that i think bestop's instructions are the ultimate test of any mans logic. took me a wil to work some stuff out.

my only issue is the top does not want to wral around the doo seals. in the pic below (not mine) i see the top tuck nicely between the doo and the door frame. how can i get mine to stay there?

also there are too small pin sieze holes from which i can see light on the inside. i think ill just epoxy over it though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trek5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	238377

Quick Reply: tips on installing a trektop in the cold