Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tips for installing TF 2.5 Coil Kit?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for installing TF 2.5 Coil Kit?

So I'm going to install my Teraflex 2.5" Coil lift w/ shocks this weekend. I know lots of guys on the forum have done this themselves, and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for me to make the install go smoothly.

I've seen several write-ups on this site that have been very helpful. I have yet to see a write up that details a full kit w/ shocks, so maybe I'll do my own write-up.

I've also seen several posts that say it took some guys up to 8 hours to do their lift, so I'm hoping to learn from some of you guys what I could do to speed up the process and make it easier on me at the same time.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's pretty straight forward. I installed it with a Jeep buddy in 2 and a half hours, with a short break. He has done lifts before and I have done car suspension installs before. We used air tools to take off wheels, etc. Alone, with hand tools, it shouldn't take longer than 4-6 hours with breaks. If you have never done it before ever, then it might take 8 hours being careful.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default You can doooo it!

I had a different brand of lift, but they look like they would install about the same. It took me about 5 hours by myself with manual tools. The shocks aren't a big deal. You have to get them loose on at least one end with any lift so that you can get the springs loose. It's not much harder to just take it loose and replace with a better one. An extra jack was VERY helpful to help line things up. Sometimes lifting one side of the axle will help lower the other to allow easier spring installation.

Overall just take your time and be careful . If you do you'll be OK. I did the rear one night and the front on the next night. Made it look like a dragster for a day.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed mine by myself with a hand from my wife at one point on the front axle.

A few things.

You have to have a floor jack.

Go to harbor freight and get their $12 spring compressor. I used an air wrench with it and it made installing the front springs a simple, non issue.

I used the floor jack with a block of wood to effortlessly install the bump stops on the front.

Have a torque wrench handy and use thread lock on everything you bolt back up.

I did one end on a Friday afternoon and the other end on a Saturday morning.

There is nothing technical or difficult about it, just a bit of grunt work that can be made much easier with the above items.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default ~3 hours for me

I just installed my lift on Monday. It was a Rough Country 2.5 with shocks. It was the first lift that I have ever installed and the only thing I had done previously was oil changes and diff fluid changes.

I bought jack stands, a floor jack and gear wrenches. I had the sockets and drive already. I also bought a tool wrap and put all of the Jeep specific wenches in the Jeep. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster the night before. The front went easy, the only hiccup was the passenger side spring. I had to use the scissor jack from the Jeep to get enough room to put the sping in. Don't put the sway bar links back in until after you have the front tires back on and the front end on the ground.

The back was easier than the front. At the front of the wheel well there are a couple of wires held in with a plastic holder pull holder out. Also there is a bracker holding the parking bracke cables, use a 10mm socket to remove them. I also removed the breather from the top of the axle. Now get to work on the rear. The only help that I needed for the entire install was my wife working the jack while I held the rear springs in place.

Here is the write up reference that I used:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...shocks+install

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	29865  
Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

I just did that exact same lift on mine and my buddy's rig this weekend. a couple pointers, lots of wood to put under the jack stands, a hi-lift is awesome cause you can get the body hi enough spring compressors aren't necessary, either use a jack and wood to pop the front bump stops in or set them inside the coil and "thread/spin" the coil till it gets around the bump stop holder then put pressure under the axle (to keep spring stiff)and use a pry bar to pop it in(this way worked easier for me), and use some penetrating oil on the lip of the new bump stop this helps!!!!, spray all bolts with penetrating fluid a day before especially the upper shock bolts on the front, a ratchet wrench makes short work of these. if I remember more I will list them, and remember not to rush and have fun!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys. All good suggestions. Hopefully it will go smoothly and quickly and I won't be distracted by College Football too much on saturday!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the biggest PITA i had was installing the top nut of the front shock..it's a 16MM i believe. opening was too narrow to put a socket wrench in and there was the upper lip of the body housing of the shock. i wound up using a 16mm socket and a vise grip to hold the nut while i wrenched the shock extension..

oh and when you rebuild the front shock the washer with the bigger opening goes on the bottom of the washer/grommet sandwich...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

When doing the front, do the right side first. Because of the Drag bar link it is easier to get the coils in place if you do it in this order.

Use a spare scissor jack to jack up the opposite sides of your axle, thus lowering the side you are working on. Probably wont need coil compressors then.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I've formulated a quick check list of how this is supposed to go. I've tried to include people's suggestions. Feel free to add in steps or tell me steps I'm missing.....

Prep: Spray all the bolts with WD-40 or PB Blaster (whatever that is) the night before..
1. Jack up the jk (put wood under the jack stands)
2. Remove the tires
3. Remove the rear shocks
4. Remove the rear sway bar links
5. Remove the ABS wiring clips
6. Disconnect the brake line bracket
7. Remove the park brake bracket
8. Unbolt the frame end of the track bar
9. Loosen rear control arm bolts
10. Jack up one side of the rear axle to remove the other sides spring
11. Install the new rear spring
12. Install the spring retainer
13. Install new sway bar link
14. Install new bump stop spacer
15. Install shock
16. Repeat steps 10-15 with other rear wheel
17. Install brake line extension
18. Install rear track bar bracket
19. Remove the front shocks and sway bar links
20. Loosen control arm and track bar bolts
21. Jack up the driver's side of the front axle and remove the other sides spring
22. Remove the front factory bump stop
23. Install the new bump stop extension (using a piece of wood to force it in)
24. Install the new spring
25. Install the new shock
26. Repeat steps 20-25 for the other side.
27. Install the new sway bar links (disco's in my case)
28. Put the wheels back on
29. Connect the front disco's
30. Align the steering

Quick Reply: Tips for installing TF 2.5 Coil Kit?