Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tints

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
Well, I don't run my half doors in winter, so cold weather really isn't an issue as they stay stored in the garage during that time. Also, I found out a new pair of uppers was $500 from the dealer, so I figured I could re-do it a couple of times if need be for that price
Even though this thread is old I'm going to throw this in...I'll be swapping someone for their soft top for my hard top this weekend, I'll be tinting the soft top the weekend after. I know for a FACT that it is possible with traditional film, used to work with a guy who had his TJ soft top tinted years before I even knew him and it was still in great shape...that being said he rarely took off his windows. I'll send some pics when the windows are done, and follow up a few months later, as I'll have the windows out and top up/down almost every day
Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

I recently tried to tint my soft windows. It turned out like crap!! And I have tinted a lot of windows before so it wasn't installer error. As soon as I went to move the window out of my way it bubbled up. You may be able to do them and let them dry for a day without movement but that also means you can't check for bubbles. I'm out on this project. Next I'm gonna look around for spray on tint. There's gotta be a product out there and if not I'm gonna patent the idea and be a millionaire! I know you guys will buy it! Lol
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problem with traditional tint film is that the vinyl windows slowly release gasses that cannot permeate the film. That and a result of the flexing causes bubble to appear over time. Most films become rigid with prolonged exposure to the sun. This can result in cracking and flaking of the film. There is at least one company that make film for vinyl windows. I would suspect that the TJ previously mentioned may have used this brand of film. There have been several people on the forums that have tried film and spray. I don't think I have heard of anyone being happy with the finished result. The spray on will ruin your windows.

The best solution is to buy tinted replacements. If you are cheap like me, then you can apply tinted vinyl static cling tint. I have had the side windows for my soft top tinted this way for over a year. Since it is applied to the outside it does provide some extra protection from scratches. In the entire year I have had them I have only had one issue where an edge started to peel back and I needed to re-apply the cling.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, but maybe a smoked lamin-x film might work on the inside of the windows?

Its thick and sticky enough to stick onto the windows. Might be a more permanent thing.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'd definitely love to hear someone's solution that works, that's for sure! while i did buy replacement soft top windows from somebody on craigslist (for a heck of a steal, i might add!), i'd like to go darker, plus, i'd like to tint the previous set as well as the windows on my set of soft doors.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

I purchased the bestop tinted window kit from Qtec, love it, no messing with my own tint film that's sure to fail. Self tint on glass windows looks bad enough I can only imagine it after the flexing of our plastic windows.

Anyone want to buy my clear soft top windows??
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

$20 won't make or break ya, if it looks bad take it off
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

$20 definitely won't make or break you but your money would be better spent mailing it to me so I can save up and buy pre tinted windows. Then you can admire how nice my jeep looks going down the road. It's a win/win situation for both of us. I speak from recent experience when I say don't do it.

Quick Reply: Tints