Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tints

Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tints

I have a question about tints... i have seen soft tops (plastic windows) with tints. i know you can order the whole window tinted. but is it possible to have them tinted? i just saw germans red rubicon with the back windows tinted. or are those replacement or some factory option for the plastic being already tinted?
i have a black 2dr soft top with the factory half doors so all my windows are plastic. would love to have them all blacked out down here in miami the sunshine state its almost a requirement.

any feedback is much apreciated
Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

My avatar is hotter than your avatar.

Oooops! I did not see the "n" in tint. I thought you said something else.

Last edited by jpaddict; 11-30-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpaddict
My avatar is hotter than your avatar.

I would have to agree.

But to answer you question about the tint.... I was told that tint on the soft tops was an option. Of course that was after I already had mine and was talking to the dealer about another one I had seen with tinted windows.

Also I have friend that owns a window tinting business. He has told me before that he could tint the soft top windows on my TJ. I never took him up on the offer.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

cool, i might check around at the local tint shops around here if they have experiance tinting soft windows. and i will post some pics as soon as posible fiance has had my camera... haven't been able to take pics yet. need to take some overall pics. so far have upgraded the sound system and added hella lights to front bumper. waiting for my 3" Ful traction lift to arrive and 35"s will take pics of before after!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tinting Soft Top Windows

Has anyone found anyone that can do this? Don't know if it works...and I'd rather not buy brand new windows for brand new jeep.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

There's a thread in the write up section describing how to do it yourself with pella nd stick tint from the parts store. I bought a set of half doors for my Jeep and the rear uppers were not tinted, so I followed this write up, now they're nice and dark like the rest of the soft top windows.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I just wonder about durability. Get what you pay for, and tinting the windows for 20.00 seems like a cheap fix. How do they hold up in cold weather? What about when you're putting them in your window roll? Do they crease up and not de-wrinkle like the others do when unrolled?

With a 25K vehicle, I don't want a cheap tint job making it look like crap. Seems like if done right, it will look good initially....but what about three-four months down the road?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are tintS?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morgen251
With a 25K vehicle, I don't want a cheap tint job making it look like crap. Seems like if done right, it will look good initially....but what about three-four months down the road?
Sure $20 for a tint job goes along with the whole "penny wise, dollar foolish" philosophy, but $20 is hell of a lot cheaper than over $200. To me, 20 bucks seems worth it to give it a shot. I'd rationalize dishing out a small amount of money to get a quick fix and see how it goes. If, 3 months down the road it turns to crap, I'd be confident saying I got my money's worth. And from what I've heard the peel on stuff can always be taken off and either reapplied or thrown out, not damaging the windows.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I don't run my half doors in winter, so cold weather really isn't an issue as they stay stored in the garage during that time. Also, I found out a new pair of uppers was $500 from the dealer, so I figured I could re-do it a couple of times if need be for that price

Quick Reply: Tints