Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

time for new suspension (advice needed)

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 JKU that came with a Rough country 3.25 lift with the 2.2 shocks, I was giddy to see that the shocks had started leaking a few months ago which gives me the excuse to throw them away and replace them! Now don't get me wrong, for the $500 that somebody spent on the lift, it has allowed me to go out and hang with more modified rigs and play in the rocks of TX. I did have to add a few things to make it a little better; discos, tires & spacers, and I have bashed up the rear LCAs and will be replacing them soon since I have managed to bend both of them! I'm not sure what your price point is, but I would recommend this, look for something that includes at least LCAs Front and rear, track bar brackets and/or adjustable track bars, Springs, shocks, and brake lines/drop brackets. I've had mine for a few years now and know what I wish I had and so I am now piecing that together to replace the rough country that was on there when I got it. I would suggest you look at BDS/Zone, Rustys, rock krawler, and Metal cloak, to name a few, they all have quality stuff. I have come to understand that there is no "cheap" lift that is also a complete lift and the budget lifts tend to have some issues; for example my rough country rides like a lumber truck! Best of luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

37s and budget are an oxymoron. Stick with 35s and a smaller lift or be prepared to spend $$$$$$$$$$.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
37s and budget are an oxymoron. Stick with 35s and a smaller lift or be prepared to spend $$$$$$$$$$.
hell for good stuff at 3" and 35's, you'll still spend $5k!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
I love Rock Krawler but I'm not in a position to spend as much as they are charging for systems
my first instinct was to say that you are a real prick for your response but after reading your write up, I'll give you a pass on the budget comment.
Ironic... isn't it.

I'll second that quality and low prices usually don't quite mesh... nor is high dollar indicative of quality.

Personally... I'd NOT recommend RK, based purely on the fact that they refuse to discuss design. I have seen this pointedly PBB and JKO (the PBB stuff is pretty good for a laugh when you witness the pro run away from the amateurs).

Oh no.... did I say something bad about RK? lol... I know more than I let on.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuma
Off road evolution coilovers. Can't do better. Oh and add a supercharger and gear change. Go big or go home.
Yes you can, Off road evolution does not make coil overs they make a bracket they sell you for $500 and order some coil overs from King.

To the OP, I hope you took time to read the link in my signature. I did it help people understand their suspensions and what things do under their jeeps so they can make an educated decision on what they can do to fill their needs and budget. IF you feel I am a prick for trying to make you think, so be it. I get that from time to time and it does not bother me. These forums get the same question you asked almost every day even though the search function works pretty well. If you look at these treads you will find the same thing "i run ****** lit and it rides better then stock" or "I read that ***** gets great reviews" followed by a poser shot of the jeep from 25 feet away. These comments do nothing to answer your question but just add to the confusion.

When this forum was started it was a paid advertiser site. You could only mention companies and products that actually paid the owner so you only got like 4 or 5 companies that made lifts. This left out many other quality companies and truly did a disservice to the Jeep JK community by limiting the choices people had. If you even mentioned other companies or events that were not paying to be on the site your post would be removed and you would be banned. I got banned for mentioning a Marines Toys for Tots event that was happening at Badlands off road park in Attica, IN. I had several write ups and some custom builds that were all scrubbed at the time of my banning. The site is no longer owned by the original person and is opened up now but you still see the remnants of the old dictatorship.

If you want an answer to your question you need to come up with more of a plan of what you are going to be doing with the jeep and your budget. A kit is just a bunch of parts someone threw together and put a price on it. Many times it is better for you to pick individual components to serve the individual needs of your rig. Some questions to think about: Is it going to be a dedicated off road rig, weekend runner with street manors or a 99% on the pavement with a couple of off road trips a year. Do you care about highway driving and handling as well as off road articulation and balance? Do you carry lots of gear with you off road or do you are you a light runner that get trailered?

Jeeps are as individual as their owners and a simple one liner about what kind of lift someone else bought is not going to fit the bill. There is a rule of thumb out there that every inch of lift height will cost you around $1000 for a properly set up system. You can spend more or less then that amount but realize as you go taller you will have to replace more things to keep the performance and handling both safe and functional.

Good luck with the build.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 01-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per dirtman: " To the OP, I hope you took time to read the link in my signature. "

I've been pouring over that write up all morning (I found it using the search function) after making a similar post asking for advice on the RK stock mod vs flex systems. It should be required reading for any jeep owner considering suspension mods!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Yes you can, Off road evolution does not make coil overs they make a bracket they sell you for $500 and order some coil overs from King.

To the OP, I hope you took time to read the link in my signature. I did it help people understand their suspensions and what things do under their jeeps so they can make an educated decision on what they can do to fill their needs and budget. IF you feel I am a prick for trying to make you think, so be it. I get that from time to time and it does not bother me. These forums get the same question you asked almost every day even though the search function works pretty well. If you look at these treads you will find the same thing "i run ****** lit and it rides better then stock" or "I read that ***** gets great reviews" followed by a poser shot of the jeep from 25 feet away. These comments do nothing to answer your question but just add to the confusion.

When this forum was started it was a paid advertiser site. You could only mention companies and products that actually paid the owner so you only got like 4 or 5 companies that made lifts. This left out many other quality companies and truly did a disservice to the Jeep JK community by limiting the choices people had. If you even mentioned other companies or events that were not paying to be on the site your post would be removed and you would be banned. I got banned for mentioning a Marines Toys for Tots event that was happening at Badlands off road park in Attica, IN. I had several write ups and some custom builds that were all scrubbed at the time of my banning. The site is no longer owned by the original person and is opened up now but you still see the remnants of the old dictatorship.

If you want an answer to your question you need to come up with more of a plan of what you are going to be doing with the jeep and your budget. A kit is just a bunch of parts someone threw together and put a price on it. Many times it is better for you to pick individual components to serve the individual needs of your rig. Some questions to think about: Is it going to be a dedicated off road rig, weekend runner with street manors or a 99% on the pavement with a couple of off road trips a year. Do you care about highway driving and handling as well as off road articulation and balance? Do you carry lots of gear with you off road or do you are you a light runner that get trailered?

Jeeps are as individual as their owners and a simple one liner about what kind of lift someone else bought is not going to fit the bill. Their is a rule of thumb out there that every inch of lift height will cost you around $1000 for a properly set up system. You can spend more or less then that amount but realize as you go taller you will have to replace more things to keep the performance and handling both safe and functional.

Well said. X2. Being said. Once you figure out what your going to use your rig for, understand that you get what you pay for. I rock crawl and found out shortly after my first few trips that it's best for me to save then bite the bullet and get the better product the first time rather then buying this expensive stuff twice. Best of luck.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

Jeeps are as individual as their owners and a simple one liner about what kind of lift someone else bought is not going to fit the bill. There is a rule of thumb out there that every inch of lift height will cost you around $1000 for a properly set up system. You can spend more or less then that amount but realize as you go taller you will have to replace more things to keep the performance and handling both safe and functional.

Yes, i did read your write up in your sig. It was very helpful. I'm not a noob, just been wrapped up in modding my CTS-V but now its Jeep time. I'm looking for opinions and comfort is up there right now in my list of wants because I'm tired of being bounced around. If i can get away with a 2.5" and stuff 37s I'll cut where I need to but I want to keep it as low as I can but I think 35s look too small on the unlimited. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

also, I'm not looking for cheap but I would like to stay near 5 grand with lift, gears and tires. I know its not realistic but I'm trying to stay as close to that as possible. I had earmarked 40K for a jeep build but I fell in love with the CTS-V and used the money for that. Now I'm looking to build in stages. the real goal is having 37s and have a fair amount of flex. I've got flat fenders already and I will not hesitate to cut for clearance. If it takes 7 grand to get to the right answer, I would spend 7 rather than have an incomplete setup. Gears are a grand, tires will be a few grand. so lift should be 2-3 grand if it can be done.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

also, I'm not looking for cheap but I would like to stay near 5 grand with lift, gears and tires. I know its not realistic but I'm trying to stay as close to that as possible. I had earmarked 40K for a jeep build but I fell in love with the CTS-V and used the money for that. Now I'm looking to build in stages. the real goal is having 37s and have a fair amount of flex. I've got flat fenders already and I will not hesitate to cut for clearance. If it takes 7 grand to get to the right answer, I would spend 7 rather than have an incomplete setup. Gears are a grand, tires will be a few grand. so lift should be 2-3 grand if it can be done.

If you have that much spare change, go with rock Krawler or metal cloak with OME shocks. You won't be disappointed

Quick Reply: time for new suspension (advice needed)