Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Time to Line the Roof ~~ Suggestions?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Time to Line the Roof ~~ Suggestions?

Ok guys -- I'm ready to line the inside and outside of my hard-top. I've seen different threads using different options -- but if I just want a good solid (close to stock color) coating over the outside and inside, without the "bubbly" feel that liners tend to leave, what should I use? I'm assuming I will be using several cans to do the outside and inside....what do you think? My JKU is black, and the hardtop is black as well...and again, I'd like to stick close to the color that it came....and for the inside I just want it to match and cover up the white
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the outside, but for the interior I went with a set of the Hotheads Headliners and they're fantastic.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

I like those but i want it to be one consistent look inside/out....I know I've seen a thread on it somewhere before but couldn't find it...and moreover, I don't want to ruin the look of the hardtop from the outside...?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Hotheads. They are very nice and come in matching colors. The guy who posted above got the dark but they also come in a light gray that matched the interior perfectly.

Flash
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

For the inside, read through this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ruck-bed-liner
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4fit?
For the inside, read through this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ruck-bed-liner
Freakin' sweet. I'm headed to the hardware store right now to pick it up. We'll see how it turns out. If anyone has any ideas on the outside of the top, let me know...I've mustered up the guts to give it a try if anyone has any ideas?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

For the outside I might suggest Rustoleum indoor/outdoor fine texture paint. Have it at Lowes and is what I use to touch up my OR FAB stuff. It is textured but extremely fine. Covers well and easy to use. I actually Herculiner my front outside removeable panels.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

First of all -- thanks to 4fit for finding the interior thread. Went to O'Reilly's, and picked up 3 cans of duplicolor truck bed liner spray ($9 a bottle). Started with the front two panels....masked all the levers/latches, and sanded the white down to give it something to grip to (like the tutorial stated). Cleaned it with just regular windex, and went to spraying. First things first, this product is bad-a**! Second, the spray was very even out of the can and provided good coverage. I used just under one can on each panel, and it was plenty covered/blacked-out. I will be picking up some more cans to do the rear part of the top early next week, and will post some pictures after it is all done. All I can say is that the difference is night and day from that white to this matte-black look. Definitely a good way to spend $40-$50.

Last edited by JacKed 8; 02-17-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
First of all -- thanks to 4fit for finding the interior thread. Went to O'Reilly's, and picked up 3 cans of duplicolor truck bed liner spray ($9 a bottle). Started with the front two panels....masked all the levers/latches, and sanded the white down to give it a grap (like the tutorial stated). Cleaned it with just regular windex, and went to spraying. First things first, this product is bad-a**! Second, the spray was very even out of the can and provided good coverage. I used just under one can on each panel, and it was plenty covered/blacked-out. I will be picking up some more cans to do the rear part of the top early next week, and will post some pictures after it is all done. All I can say is that the difference is night and day from that white to this matte-black look. Definitely a good way to spend $40-$50.
Sounds good. Definitely post pics when you get it all done. This is something I will certainly be doing to my JK whenever I get it.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Decided to say screw it and do the entire top last night, just to get it all out of the way....I'm very happy with the way it came out...as soon as I get it out into daylight I'll take some pics and upload them on here....

Quick Reply: Time to Line the Roof ~~ Suggestions?