Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

time for an Intake...help choose?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangler1308
well i got the wheels and tires coming in soon as well just want the engine to breathe a little better so get better mileage and power. also got an exhaust system coming in as well so there a lot going on the car very soon
correction JEEP!!! so used to my days of having a VW
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Leave the turd engine alone. Use your money on suspension, tires, wheels, etc.
Wheels and tires ate coming along with many goodies. I want the turd engine to breathe better
Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 1983 Honda 1500S had a turd in it. The 3.8 is no slouch. It is not a V8 by any compairison and will never sound or perform like one. The Airaid CAI really makes the sound of the engine louder and deeper. I can feel a difference in acceleration as well. It is a quality product constructed very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhK7XH-7OvU

Last edited by Goofas7070; 02-08-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to hear some other CAIs out there too.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wrangler1308
well i got the wheels and tires coming in soon as well just want the engine to breathe a little better so get better mileage and power. also got an exhaust system coming in as well so there a lot going on the car very soon
You want it to breathe better? Replace the air filter during every oil change if you wheel a lot in dusty conditions. Honestly, there are so many other useful and purposeful mod/addition to your Jeep other than a CAI.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

I have an Airaid cold air intake and a Sprint Booster (great performance combo). The Airaid is a quality well made kit. The main tube is a poly tube with a very smooth coating inside to reduce turbulence. The poly tube also reduces the temp of the air (aluminum conducts more heat). It is not overly loud but has a nice deep tone when you get in the throttle.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
GEt a Snorkel .. the only true CAI
Can't disgree with this statement..
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nedward44
Go with the Volant... it makes the best power, and you can do a snorkel with it that is easy to install and looks awesome!
Agreed. I have the volant and it makes a nice sound, the filter is fairly well protected, and with the money I saved by buying the intake used, I bought a powercore filter and pre-filter. I don't have any complaints so far, in the fall I got surprised once or twice by some large puddles (2-3" deep) in the road that I hit going 35mph+.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Volant isn't a bad choice, especially if you plan on adding a snorkel some day. Me, I just installed an aFe Stage 2 Si intake this morning. It is sealed also so no extra dust/dirt and because it is sealed it's supposed to be a little quieter than the open designs. But to be honest, the sound on this one is perfect. Just a slight "throatier" (is that a word?) tone to the engine at idle but when you step on it, oooohhhh, goosebumps! Sounds awesome! Any louder would be too much, at least for me. I also choose a quieter exhaust for the same reason. I have a Borla ProXS. Just a little louder than stock but a lot nicer tone.

My install went pretty smooth. Only snag was trying to get that damn sensor into the new intake tube. The instructions didn't really say how the best way to tackle this was so after several attempts, I eventually put the sensor in the grommet, then put that into the intake tube, using a screwdriver to push the edges in a little at a time. If you've installed one of these, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Only other issue was that the engine light came on after the install. I ran back and searched the forum for this issue and found out it was probably only temporary until the computer figured out how to handle the extra air coming into the engine. Sure enough, it was gone in about an hour worth of driving.

That same day I took about a 4 hour ride, almost exclusively on the highway. Passing people was a blast because I got to hear that intake in all its glory every time I did. Best $188 I've spent in a long time!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DGriz
Best $188 I've spent in a long time!
DGriz, which stage 2 CAI intake did you go with (p/n would be great)? I'm trying to decide, but with the several slight 'descriptions' and prices that aFe has; not sure which one to choose. yours sounds just what I want. Thanks

Anybody know the differences in stage 2's by the same company?

Quick Reply: time for an Intake...help choose?