Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rods & tie rod ends

Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes... I have read that adjusting the tie rod means taking it off, although mine isn't here yet to verify. Ironically I did get a box with hardware for it today that said 2 of 2, so I'm guessing I'll get 1 of 2 on Monday.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep us posted. I'm really interested in seeing how it adjusts.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
I just came from Napa and they said the part number was ES184R. I have a feeling they are wrong and VA_Rubi-Red is right.

Change of subject. Since there is only one reference number for this TRE, does that mean that the thread is the same on both ends? if this is so, adjusting the toe means removing a TRE every time, instead of twisting the tie rod. Am I correct in thinking this? Looking around I found that there is also a ES194L. It would make more sense having two opposing threaded TRE.
My understanding (according to Rock Krawler) is the thread IS the same on both ends (both Right-handed). I hadn't realized the implications regarding adjustment. Oh well.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
My understanding (according to Rock Krawler) is the thread IS the same on both ends (both Right-handed). I hadn't realized the implications regarding adjustment. Oh well.
If this is so, then that kind of sucks as far as adjusting is concerned. They may have done this since their HD tie rod is bent and can't be rotated freely without ending up in a funny position. Their HD drag link is adjustable so it probably has opposing threads.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Any of ya'll have pics of this sucker installed? And how does it interfere with the steering stabilizer? I'm just a noob, so help a brutha out hahaha.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

If this is so, then that kind of sucks as far as adjusting is concerned. They may have done this since their HD tie rod is bent and can't be rotated freely without ending up in a funny position. Their HD drag link is adjustable so it probably has opposing threads.
I think you are correct on their drag link, as I remember seeing that it used two separate part numbers.

Originally Posted by jeepnag
Any of ya'll have pics of this sucker installed? And how does it interfere with the steering stabilizer? I'm just a noob, so help a brutha out hahaha.
They use slightly different hardware to attach it, but the steering stabilizer is still supposed to fit on. I got my hardware kit on Friday, but when I checked UPS today the tie rod itself got lost and spent a few days circling the state of new york. It is now scheduled to be here Wednesday, and if I get lucky I'll have time to install it over the weekend.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Lets be realistic about this; how often does toe in have to be adjusted? Remember this isn't centering the steering wheel which does get done periodically. The tie rod would be adjustd once and left alone. Most of the time the toe in needs to be adjusted is because toe in changed due to the week factory tie rod bending and getting shorter. And all you'd have to do for a minor adjustment is loosen a jam nut, knock the ball joint free on one end and adjust it. I'll take beef over ease of adjustment any day.

I've got one on order as my stocker is no longer straight. I went out with a buddy who had bent his a few weeks before and had straighted and reinstalled it. It bent again. He's got an RK on order.

Last edited by chuck45; 11-18-2008 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
I think you are correct on their drag link, as I remember seeing that it used two separate part numbers.

They use slightly different hardware to attach it, but the steering stabilizer is still supposed to fit on. I got my hardware kit on Friday, but when I checked UPS today the tie rod itself got lost and spent a few days circling the state of new york. It is now scheduled to be here Wednesday, and if I get lucky I'll have time to install it over the weekend.
Let me know how that goes Ross. I was looking at the RK since mine got bent a little this weekend, but after looking it over I think its fine for now. I'll probably just wait for a bit. I've already blown enough money this week on my JK.

I'm going to adjust the toe, but after driving it 350 miles sunday it seemed ok.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the factory replacement tie-rods come with the TRE's installed. you cannot just by the tie-rod. also, it comes in two halfs and you will only need to order the longer of the two.

Yeah and they cost over $700 to replace all four

-Rokin
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with RK. Here's the deal:

HD Tie-Rod uses 2x ES194R

HD Drag-link uses 1x ES194L and 1x ES194R

Quick Reply: Tie rods & tie rod ends