Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rods & tie rod ends

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rods & tie rod ends

Not sure if this post belongs here or in stock; moderators do what you must.

I will possibly have to replace/upgrade my tie rod, but I'm unsure about which parts get replaced. Of course I'm considering the Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod (does not include tie rod ends) or stock replacement.

Here's my question(s):

If a tie rod is bent, do the ends need to be replaced also? If so, what are the options (dimensions, part numbers, variations, etc.)

If upgrading to the Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod, must the ends be upgraded also, or can the stock ends be used? Does this question even make sense?

Where can Moog Outer Tie Rod Ends be purchased? I've tried a lot of web searches and come up empty.

If a tie rod is bent only a little (as I think mine is), how best to proceed?

Thanks for any and all insight into JK tie rods & upgrades.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-23-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: mention of blacklisted manufacturer
Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
If a tie rod is bent, do the ends need to be replaced also? If so, what are the options (dimensions, part numbers, variations, etc.)
the factory replacement tie-rods come with the TRE's installed. you cannot just by the tie-rod. also, it comes in two halfs and you will only need to order the longer of the two.

If upgrading to the Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod, must the ends be upgraded also, or can the stock ends be used? Does this question even make sense?
i believe the RK tie-rod comes with new TRE's as well.

Where can Moog Outer Tie Rod Ends be purchased? I've tried a lot of web searches and come up empty.
sorry, don't know the answer to this one.

if it's just a little, i wouldn't worry about it. there are tons of people running around with bent tie-rods. just correct your toe and you should be good to go
Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks WOL, and pardon my ignorance re: blacklisted companies.

FYI, RK tie rods do not come with TREs, which is why I was interested in finding a source for Moog ends.

I'm confused by your description of stock replacement "halfs", and the need for only one. Can you please elaborate? It's all new to me!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
Not sure if this post belongs here or in stock; moderators do what you must.

I will possibly have to replace/upgrade my tie rod, but I'm unsure about which parts get replaced. Of course I'm considering the Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod (does not include tie rod ends) or stock replacement.

Here's my question(s):

Thanks for any and all insight into JK tie rods & upgrades.
Originally Posted by wayoflife
the factory replacement tie-rods come with the TRE's installed. you cannot just by the tie-rod. also, it comes in two halfs and you will only need to order the longer of the two.

i believe the RK tie-rod comes with new TRE's as well.

sorry, don't know the answer to this one.

if it's just a little, i wouldn't worry about it. there are tons of people running around with bent tie-rods. just correct your toe and you should be good to go
as far as whether the RK tie rod comes with ends I'm not sure it does, last i checked the RK website showed that they opted for a moog TRE as its easy to find... and it is, any autozone, napa, murrays autoparts store should either carry it, or be able to cross reference the moog number to their product. The way the wording was on the RK site, i think it does not include the ends. but the moog ends i've purchased in the past for other vehicles are usually in the 20 to 30 dollar range. Moog is just an aftermarket parts company, RK has simply tested a number of their aftermarket ends to see which one has the right shape, and beefiness for them. and this way if you bend one, break one, or just need to replace it after time, you can go right back to the local parts shop to replace it. the actual end they use might be one for a ford or chevy in the autoparts store computer, but its exactly what works for the RK tie rod on the JK.... so they give you the Moog number to look it up by. I hope that helps

The tie rod being bent is not a big issue... as long as you adjust the toe to correct for it. if you're not sure of how to do this yourself, wayoflife has a great do it yourself alignment write up that will explain it, otherwise, take it wherever you get your alignments done and they'll align it for you. If its severely bent, i would recommend a new one.. but a little bend is no big deal.

good luck

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 10-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have a RK tie rod and it is beefy as hell and when all said and done the same price as a stock replacement. Purchase 1 ton tie rod ends because it does not come with them. Once you get all the parts its a straight across swap.

As far as even needing to replace it at all. I would say it depends on how you bent it. If it was a stray animal running across the street that you hit then just drive with it. If you bent it rock crawling I would say save yourself the headache of bending it over and over again and buy the beefy one from RK.

Hope this helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=58006&page=3
Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calibutcher
I have a RK tie rod and it is beefy as hell and when all said and done the same price as a stock replacement. Purchase 1 ton tie rod ends because it does not come with them. Once you get all the parts its a straight across swap.

As far as even needing to replace it at all. I would say it depends on how you bent it. If it was a stray animal running across the street that you hit then just drive with it. If you bent it rock crawling I would say save yourself the headache of bending it over and over again and buy the beefy one from RK.

Hope this helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=58006&page=3
Thanks Butcher,
You mention 1-ton TREs. Do you have a specific part number and any other tips or suggestions for installing?

Thanks everyone for responding.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with both the RK tie rod and drag link after mine were taco'ed. I did run MANY trails with my TR bent before I HAD to replace it. Once it bends even a little, it isnt nearly as strong. It will continue to bend, and easier. Still, I know a lot of guys that bend them back, adjust their toe and keep going. I believe it is only a matter of time before it bends beyond drivable and that could leave you stranded on a trail.

I dont have the part numbers for the TRE's but Napa can cross reference the Moog TRE number and sell you their version of it. I cant recall exactly, but they were around $50 each. Also, they had to be ordered for me, so there was a little bit of a lead time.

Also, I now understand that the RK steering components are designed for lifts over 3.5". You might want to inquire about the compatibility with other components. For example, I had to remove my Woods SS bracket because the TR was binding on it limiting my right turn radius and obviously having the potential to break the bracket and/or damage the TR. Back to stock SS bracket, my TR rubs on a bolt head at full right turn.

Just some food for thought, but I have to say that this TR and DL are CRAZY tough and strong!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

the RK tie rod doesnt come with tie rod ends

in the instructions they have part numbers listed as to which tie rod ends you need

the tie rod ends are expensive but are very strong and worth it, as you wont be replacing these ever again

the RK tie rod is a big beef monster, im very happy i have it as its the lowest part on my jeep( not including the diff, and is the first thing to get smacked

in retrospective, its very hard to adjust it, but its not like you will be re-adjusting it a lot

definitely upgrade the tie rod, the RK is a good choice, but not the only choice
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I had the tie rod and toe-in inspected at the dealer when I had my rig in for another issue. It is slightly bent, toe-in is fine. I have a 3" lift, but the stock steering stabilizer so I should be able to install the Rock Krawler.

BTW, I contacted RK and they gave me a part number for the Moog TREs:

MOOG Part # ES194R Tie Rod End

I have no idea what the specs are for this TRE, but it's available at at-least one online supplier which I found by Google-ing the p/n.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just came from Napa and they said the part number was ES184R. I have a feeling they are wrong and VA_Rubi-Red is right.

Change of subject. Since there is only one reference number for this TRE, does that mean that the thread is the same on both ends? if this is so, adjusting the toe means removing a TRE every time, instead of twisting the tie rod. Am I correct in thinking this? Looking around I found that there is also a ES194L. It would make more sense having two opposing threaded TRE.

Last edited by ReconJeep; 11-14-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Tie rods & tie rod ends