Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tie rod question

Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tie rod question

i just got back from calico, ca., great trails! playing in a rock garden and bent my tie rod just a little. i'm sure it's ok but when i do my lift, i might change it. who makes the best (strong) tie rods ?
thanks for any input.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Check out Rock Krawler's tie rod. http://www.rockkrawler.com/

The Rock Krawler heavy duty Tie Rod for the Wrangler JK is simply the strongest tie rod on the market! This bad boy is made from 1 5/8 inch diameter solid alloy treated steel and is designed to use 3/4 ton outer tie rod ends. The Rock Krawler tie rod is a plug and play unit with no drilling or having to change the taper of the factory knuckles.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

my tie rod has a slight bend....

no biggie, just recentered my wheel and have kept on going. will eventually replace it, but unless its a 90deg bend, dont worry
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

any problems with the ss (rk tie rod)? i was also going to get a rc ss too. will it work with the rk tie rod? is the rc dual ss over kill?
again thanks for any input
Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll second the Rock Krawler... I have it and the thing is a beast!

However, I will also give you a bit of a heads-up on it. I took my Spidertrax spacers off when I was getting ready to take it back to the dealer for some warranty work and the stock Rubicon wheels rub on the tie rod when the wheels are turned all the way left or right. This shouldn't be a problem if you have wheels with less backspacing or have spacers, but I thought I'd just give you that warning before you get a surprise.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best solution is to get the ss out of harms way. There are several companies out thet making relocation kits but I would recomend moving the ss above the tie rod bar and replacing the tie rod bar with one at least 1.5 inches thick made of chromolysteel.

Last edited by Robar; 02-28-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: DELETED PIC THAT SHOWED BLACKLISTED PRODUCT
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

i'm getting km2's with CRAGAR soft 8 or black rock wheels type 8. i'm keeping the stock wheels ( can't sale them, a lot of rock bites ) for the dealer too. we'll see if i can get any warranty work!

Quick Reply: tie rod question