Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rod ends

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod ends

Need to replace my tie rod ends. Any sugestions for aftermarket ends that would fit the stock tie rod?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

are you sure they are actually bad? rotational movement is totally normal. movement side to side or up and down is not and if you have that, they should be replaced. having said that, if you still are running a factory tie rod or draglink, the TRE's are not meant to be replaceable. you can do it but, it's very difficult to do. if you still want to do it, i believe that moog has a good set of TRE's that'll fit.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

I was told by a mechanic in my unit who also has a jku that if i replaced the tie rod ends then got it aligned my death wobble should go away. Its to the point where i know death wobble will occur.

I just did took my track bar off to put in 9/16 x 3 bolt. My track bar i found has play when i am parked and turn the wheel from end to end. Im pretty sure that the bolt holes have been wallowed out enough to cause the play.

I think the 9/16 bolt will only make the death wobble a little less

I am not sure what to do next
Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by DelVecc
I was told by a mechanic in my unit who also has a jku that if i replaced the tie rod ends then got it aligned my death wobble should go away. Its to the point where i know death wobble will occur.

I just did took my track bar off to put in 9/16 x 3 bolt. My track bar i found has play when i am parked and turn the wheel from end to end. Im pretty sure that the bolt holes have been wallowed out enough to cause the play.

I think the 9/16 bolt will only make the death wobble a little less

I am not sure what to do next
bad TRE's on your tie rod will NOT cause death wobble. it won't help anything but, i seriously doubt they are instigating them. i would give your ball joints a hard look. you'll need a dial indicator to check them accurately.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Newbie

Ok. How would i check the ball joints for problems?

The track bar play wouldn't be a problem to address? Or also be a factor in the wobble?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
JK Newbie

I also get a metallic sound when making a sharper turn. I suspect its coming from the track bar frame mount.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Ok. How would i check the ball joints for problems?

The track bar play wouldn't be a problem to address? Or also be a factor in the wobble?
If you have a dial indicator, it will be the best way to measure ball joint play. But, there are things you can do to check it without one and, if they are really bad, you won't need one.

Here what you do:
1. From the axle, use a good floor jack to lift one of your tire off the ground. If you don't have a good floor jack, set your axle on a jack stand to hold it up securely in place.
2. From the side, place a long pry bar under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for axial (up and down) movement. Any movement more than 0.050" is too much and would indicate that your ball joint is bad. Of course, if you can see this movement with your eyes, it's definitely bad.
3. Next, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to rock it back and forth while you have someone watch the upper joint for any movement. Any radial (side-to-side) movement more than 0.060" is too much. Again, if you can see the movement with your eyes and without any dial indicator, it's probably bad as well.

I also get a metallic sound when making a sharper turn. I suspect its coming from the track bar frame mount.
just one sound or a series of sounds? like, "clunk" or more like "click, click, click"?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

I will check the ball joints using that method when i get in tonight.

As for the sound it is a one time sound like a minor clunk.

Def not a click click click.

I will better describe it next time i hear it.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

At work today i had my friend at work turn the wheel while i looked underneath.

What i saw was the track bar at the frame move laterally which in turn led to the axle moving. I could see the upper control arms move along with the coil springs.

Do i need a new track bar? The bolt is tortured to spec and didn't seen to move with the track bar
Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i understand what your saying then it sounds like the trackbar mounting hole is wallowed out. Best fix is to weld the correct sized heavy duty washers to the mount.

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends