Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rod end eplacement. Special tool needed?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod end eplacement. Special tool needed?

Hello.

EDIT: It's the drag link outer, not tie rod.

I tore the boot on my outer drag link at the drag link / pitman arm. I picked up a Moog outer and asked if there were special tools needed. The guys at O'Rileys did not think so, but I thought that I had heard some time in the past that there was.

Do I need a special tool or is it as simple as: mark the threads - unbolt fom pitman arm - unscrew from adjuster sleeve - repeat in reverse with new part

The Moog appears to be high quality, and unlike the stock part, it has a zerk fitting.

Thanks again. I've learned so much about turning a wrench with this Jeep. My dad was in disbelief when I told him I swapped rear axle shafts and installed my own lift. (I was raised in a basketball gym)

Last edited by shredX; 11-11-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you're trying to replace the TRE's on a factory tie rod, i pretty sure that it can't be done. at least, there is no TRE replacement that you can get from the factory - you can only buy it as a whole replacement for the passenger side and the adjuster end on the driver side. but, maybe things have changed.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Oops. Not the tie rod, but the drag link outer. <-- That's what Jeep calls it. This part is available seperate from Jeep and on the aftermarket.

I've been down the road replacing the tie rod a couple of times. Now, that I went back to 17" wheels, I plan to upgrage to a HD tie rod. (per RK you need 17" rims to clear the new tie rod ends - which happen to be the same as the outer drak link I'm replacing )

Last edited by shredX; 11-11-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

got it. super easy to swap out and no, you will not need a special tool for the job. just follow steps 5-7 on the write-up below (but on your drag link) and you'll be good to go...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Tie rod end eplacement. Special tool needed?