Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rod brands

Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod brands

Hello Folks,

So I tried to adjust my tie rod to 1/16 or 1/8 today after 3 years. However, after 3 hard winters one being the worst on record... They also use tones of salt used here in Boston, Ma. My stock tie rod adjuster/sleeve has fused together. I tried PB blaster, beating it with a hammer, vice grips attached while using a breaker bar and no luck. The threads on the sleeve have dissolved do to the rust so there is no grip left especially after trying to free it. I can't use heat because I don't have a torch. So after destroying what was left of the tie rod sleeve I need to purchase a new one. I don't have $$$ for a synergy, with that being said is the crown tie rod worth the purchase? Ill take any recommendations. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by puppetmaster; 07-20-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the RuffStuff tie rod with offset GM 1 ton TRE's

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Having a tie rod fabricated would probably be cheaper as long as you know the length, it isn't a difficult. The ends are going to be around 30 each.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thegoat
Having a tie rod fabricated would probably be cheaper as long as you know the length, it isn't a difficult. The ends are going to be around 30 each.
What's the best way to measure the length I'd need if I was going to get a rod cut?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizz
What's the best way to measure the length I'd need if I was going to get a rod cut?
Measure your current tie rod center to center on the tapered tie rod ends (center of where the nut screws on). Then call WFO Concepts. I like Ruff Stuff, but you have to cut and weld it yourself. WFO will send you a finished tie rod using the offset GM ends. Keep in mind that the GM ends will require that you ream the knuckles out for the taper. Alternatively, I believe a couple companies make ends that will fit the JK taper.

Either way, WFO kicks butt. I'd start there and see what they can come up with. Reasonably priced, much stronger than stock, and easy to service. Just be sure to use some anti-seize before threading your new ends in.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Measure your current tie rod center to center on the tapered tie rod ends (center of where the nut screws on). Then call WFO Concepts. I like Ruff Stuff, but you have to cut and weld it yourself. WFO will send you a finished tie rod using the offset GM ends. Keep in mind that the GM ends will require that you ream the knuckles out for the taper. Alternatively, I believe a couple companies make ends that will fit the JK taper.

Either way, WFO kicks butt. I'd start there and see what they can come up with. Reasonably priced, much stronger than stock, and easy to service. Just be sure to use some anti-seize before threading your new ends in.
Thanks again Invest.

You helped me out on my thread, so I'll just PM you about a few things rather than just commenting back and forth.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Correcting a previous comment. According to the Ruff Stuff website, the tie rods come welded and ready to bolt in. Jeep JK Tie Rod - RuffStuff Specialties
Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Correcting a previous comment. According to the Ruff Stuff website, the tie rods come welded and ready to bolt in. Jeep JK Tie Rod - RuffStuff Specialties
Yep! RuffStuff sells both. It's cheaper to do it yourself, especially if you can source your own DOM for cheaper. Also note that the RuffStuff tie rod will not fit with 15" wheels. Another note, your steering stabilizer bracket will not fit the new RuffStuff tierod. You can either buy one of theirs, or make one yourself pretty easy. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

As far as strength goes, 1.5" OD .25" wall DOM is what a lot of manufacturers use and I'd be impressed to see a bent one.

Last edited by 951Rubi; 07-21-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

http://steersmarts.com/products/yett...eering-linkage
Not for a while but looks interesting.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I would look for a used stock one until you can afford a synergy. I bent the stock one and two Ruffstuff tie rods before I made the switch to synergy.

Quick Reply: Tie rod brands