Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rod boot/bushing blown out ??

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod boot/bushing blown out ??

A little lack of knowledge here, sorry but Dealer said that this tierod bushing/boot is blown out or Gone !! has this happened to anyone? is this a oem boot or part of my RE lift?
thanks in advance.
Any pics or advice would be helpful
sorry, can't rotate pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo..jpg
Views:	441
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	82826

Last edited by fitzb; 08-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fitzb
A little lack of knowledge here, sorry but Dealer said that this tierod bushing/boot is blown out or Gone !! has this happened to anyone? is this a oem boot or part of my RE lift?
thanks in advance.
Any pics or advice would be helpful
sorry, can't rotate pic

Attachment 82826
It looks like an aftermarket setup compared to mine. They may not have put it on when they installed the kit, or it may have gotten ripped off while off road, but I doubt that. You should be able to go to a parts house or some web sites and buy just a new boot, if the joint is not bad.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep greasing it and you'll be fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Its def a RE tie rod end. Also RE does not just sell the boots so they will make you buy a whole new end.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Umm...isn't that the drag link he's pointing to? Drag link looks aftermarket, but it looks to still have a stock tie rod. The boot or bushing part is the little rubber jobby on the ends.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Its def a RE tie rod end. Also RE does not just sell the boots so they will make you buy a whole new end.
He may not be able to buy a brand specific boot, but I'll bet a factory one would do. Depends on the size.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Called RE, he called it a tie rod boot. replaced no questions asked. I'll put em on on tuesday. also found out I have rt side front axle leak.......
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
yup, they call them tie rod ends. he is very lucky they didnt make him buy a new end.

you will need a 1 1/4" ( 1 and a quarter inch) wrench or a 12" adjustable wrench (crescent wrench). now i am assuming that is the OEM nut, but if its the RE nut, that is a 23 mm or the adjustable wrench. i reused the OEM nut, it seems to fit better after the hole was reamed out like yours has been. you may even have to get a ball joint separator if you can not pop it out with a hammer or mallet. also, will make it a lot easier if you remove your tire.

if you have any questions when u get started, shoot me a message and ill walk u through it but its pretty easy. i replaced my RE drag link last week.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

easy as pie !!! Thanks guys !!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fitzb
Called RE, he called it a tie rod boot. replaced no questions asked. I'll put em on on tuesday. also found out I have rt side front axle leak.......
ok now im pissed off!!

exact same problem in only 2 weeks of the new drag link being on, called RE and he will not replace, he says they dont even sell the boot that i could buy a new tie rod end

that was the last straw, between the bushings and this i am done with them!!

Quick Reply: Tie rod boot/bushing blown out ??