Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thump/Pop when turning or stopping?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump/Pop when turning or stopping?

Hello,

Today after a normal turn at slow speeds in a parking lot I now have what I describe as a thump or pop sound when turning or stopping( I can feel it as well). I want to say it's from the rear but I'm not 100%, so basically a change in momentum/direction causes this noise.

I have a 3.5 inch Clayton lift with 35s. ( going on 4 years ). I have not made any changes recently.

Looking through other smilar threads I did the following tonight. In the hopes other people solutions would solve my own.

- checked ball joins and they seem good
- torqued track bar/mount front and rear
- torqued control arms
- checked exaust mount
- sway bar links front and back
- shock mounts all around
- gave everything a good heave-ho and nothing seemed loose
- did not see any signs of something comming to contact with another part.
- no burning smell

It's not my jack or any cannon balls rolling around in the back either...

First and foremost is it safe to keep on driving it? I'm use to my Jeep making noise but this seem like some serious friction sonewhere.

Second any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it Did it just once I wouldn't worry about it too much since you check everything It could have something to do with the track bar But if it did it on every turn then I would be seriously looking into something.good luck keep us posted on what's going on.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gunbo75
If it Did it just once I wouldn't worry about it too much since you check everything It could have something to do with the track bar But if it did it on every turn then I would be seriously looking into something.good luck keep us posted on what's going on.
Thanks for the quick response, but alas it has been thumping/popping almost every hard slow speed turn and some stops.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

I was having a similar problem with my jeep. So what I did was I had my girlfriend hang on to the side of my jeep and rock it side to side. So while she was doing that I crawled under the front of Jeep and listened to where it was coming from. So I located it was coming from the front driver side. So I felt around to feel where it was popping. And low and behold it was the driver side sway bar connection and it was slightly loose. I couldn't tell other wise with out doing that.
And my problem started with me going to the dunes without disconnecting the front sway bar. Oh well :shrug:
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

when i apply brake when turning offroad or hard braking on street. i get a crazy vibration and shaking on my brake pedal and i can feel it threw the floorboard. this is only when i apply breaking
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's your anti lock brakes working in soft dirt or mud
Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Junkie

Are the bushings shot on your track bars and they are binding up and then releasing/popping? Just throwing some ideas/suggestions out there....
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Are the bushings shot on your track bars and they are binding up and then releasing/popping? Just throwing some ideas/suggestions out there....
Thanks for the help, I thought for sure you figured it out, but I set up a camera and recorded for any movement at either end, but there was no movement.

I did jack up the rear and and give the rubbers a spin to feel for any binding, nothing. However on the rear passenger tire if I pull/push on the top and bottom I do feel some movement and hear some noise ( the same way I know to check for ball joints up front ) I repeated this step for the drivers side and there was no movement or noise.

I know nothing about rear axel issues, so I'm going to try to educate my self now, but does any one think this could be the cause of my problems? Is it safe to keep driving around for the next day or two while I read up on how to fix it? Is this a one man, do it your self fix?

Thanks again fellas.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by gripthor
Thanks for the help, I thought for sure you figured it out, but I set up a camera and recorded for any movement at either end, but there was no movement.

I did jack up the rear and and give the rubbers a spin to feel for any binding, nothing. However on the rear passenger tire if I pull/push on the top and bottom I do feel some movement and hear some noise ( the same way I know to check for ball joints up front ) I repeated this step for the drivers side and there was no movement or noise.

I know nothing about rear axel issues, so I'm going to try to educate my self now, but does any one think this could be the cause of my problems? Is it safe to keep driving around for the next day or two while I read up on how to fix it? Is this a one man, do it your self fix?

Thanks again fellas.
check the joints for play, Have some turn the steering wheel and watch everything. How many miles do you have on the kit? when is the last time you inspected the Johnny joints?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Hmmm could it be your break caliper loose or one of the pads shifted?

Quick Reply: Thump/Pop when turning or stopping?