Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thump on passenger rear side

Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thump on passenger rear side

I just added adjustable rear control arms to my 2 door jk. It has 3" lift on it.
I'm now hearing a thump noise coming from the passenger rear side. To address the problem, I'm planning on installing the Rock Krawler coil correction wedges.

Has anyone installed them? What's the installation process? Do I need to take off the springs?

​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​
Old 02-23-2021, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Is your rear TB bolt on the frameside hitting the bumpstop perch? If you extended the rea arms to stretch the wheelbase again, this can happen when going over a big bump. When does the thumb occur? Can you replicate it at will? A good way to narrow down rear suspension noises is to get on one side of the jeep, put two hands on it and get it rocking side-to-side really good. That gets the suspension in motion and typically brings out any noises.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I had issues with my track bar hitting my coil springs. I adjusted my lower control arms a bit to fix it. If your coil springs were bowing like mine then yes, you’ll need corrective action. I’d suggest that instead of the wedges, find a shop to either raise the back end of your current perches or weld in new perched that will give your spring perches the proper angle.

I only adjusted my control arms as a temp measure. Once I weld in new spring perches, I’ll adjust my control arms again so that my diff is pointing up a bit more.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
Is your rear TB bolt on the frameside hitting the bumpstop perch? If you extended the rea arms to stretch the wheelbase again, this can happen when going over a big bump. When does the thumb occur? Can you replicate it at will? A good way to narrow down rear suspension noises is to get on one side of the jeep, put two hands on it and get it rocking side-to-side really good. That gets the suspension in motion and typically brings out any noises.
After looking at it, I think this is what happening. That bolt and nut are sticking out right above the perch.

Is switch the bolt the opposite way around a method of resolving it?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Ari Freeman
After looking at it, I think this is what happening. That bolt and nut are sticking out right above the perch.

Is switch the bolt the opposite way around a method of resolving it?

Thanks
Yes, hopefully that gains you the clearance. That is all I had to do years ago that I recall.

The other similar issue I recall is moving the axle back caused the sway bar links to lean forward and they would knock against the upper control arm frame side mounts. That required repositioning the sway bar.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-25-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I added a stiffener up top (don't recall why) and the bolt was contacting the rear perch. A little zip with the grinder and it wasn't an issue- I just notched the bumpstop landing pad.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Just another thought. After putting some miles on the new arms, double check that everything is tight. A loose control arm bolt will thump too under braking or acceleration.

Quick Reply: Thump on passenger rear side