Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Throw Some Ideas Out

Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless price uplifts or shipping costs are high in Germany, $10K should provide you enough funds to allow you a great start on modifying your rig (with the exception of an engine swap).

Many of us have to do it incrementally.

If you want to build a capable rig for mud terrain, it probably isn't as expensive as an equivalent vehicle for rock crawling, but I may be wrong. There are many others here that are much more qualified to answer that question.

What is the list price for JK's in Germany?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larzpdot
...I am planning on coming back with at least 10K to put mostly towards good upgrades for my Jeep.
Dude, I wish I had your problems!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Conagher on this one.

I wheel with people that run CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, XJ's, ZJ's, WJ's, JK's...you get the picture. I see a lot of folks running a lot of rigs. There are people who are out all the time...and some guys that show up once in a blue moon and get towed off the trail at least half the time. Those are the same guys that are always looking to "fit" the biggest possible tires and get the most possible lift.

You could certainly stick 37's onto your JK with a $10K budget...but will you be able to do it right for that price? You don't want to be the guy that has a rig that looks great on the street but can't afford to wheel it because something breaks every time he sees rocks

Or would you rather put 35's on and have a solid, well planned, reliable rig?

I'd suggest:

-Front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, a winch, and basic recovery gear

-Rock rails and maybe an evap skid plate

-35X12.5" MT's and new wheels (or spacers)

-Reprogrammer to re-flash your TPMS and speedo

-A 3 inch (give or take) lift. You probably do NOT want to cheap out on suspension components. You don't need a top-of-the-line long arm kit with coilovers...but if you wheel, a 2" spacer lift and a 1" body lift are NOT going to perform like a good quality 3" coil lift

-Build up your front axle. A Dana 30 can handle 35's with a bit of help...as long as you don't wheel like an animal
-Sleeves
-Cromoly shafts
-Gusset your C's
-Rear axle truss

-Look at re-gearing, especially if you have an auto transmission. Be forewarned, there is lots of debate about re-gearing with 35's.

-Look at new driveshafts, based on what type of tranny you have, 2 door or 4 door, and how much lift you end up with.

By the time you work your way down this list, you'll probably have gotten through most if not all of your budget. If you DO have money left over, things that I've found to be worthwhile additions on the trail:

-Neoprene seat covers
-Good quality CB
-Synthetic winch line
-Air system (compressor or CO2)
-Grab handles (these are a MUST if you date short girls )
-Bedliner on the interior of the tub
-Axe, shovel, fire extinguisher, first aid kit
-Tools and spares (u-joints, belts, fluids) and a way to store everything
-Hi-lift jack

Most importantly - Stay safe while you're in the sandbox, and thank you for your service.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just figured out why his name in planman.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by w squared
-A 3 inch (give or take) lift. You probably do NOT want to cheap out on suspension components. You don't need a top-of-the-line long arm kit with coilovers...but if you wheel, a 2" spacer lift and a 1" body lift are NOT going to perform like a good quality 3" coil lift
I am certainly not an advocate of displacing a coil lift with spacers, but there is a huge difference in what a body lift brings as opposed to BB pucks. With the 3" threshold of a plethora of parts in a lift that isn't compromised, it's an extra $1500-2000 to do it right. Drive shafts and a full complement of control arms for a 3" lift, while a 2-2.5" coil lift you can get there with a single set of control arms. You still should get shocks, track bars, bump stops, brake lines, rear sway bar links and front disconnects if not already outfitted and with the inclusion of a 1" body lift you have a very functional lift with a low center of gravity.

When I did my lift, I opted for the "done right" 3" coil lift. Drive shafts and a full accruement of control arms. What my budget didn't allow for at the time was bumpers, tire carrier and sliders. I would gladly give up my additional .5-1" of spring travel to have those now and the cost difference would have paid for it all.

While $10k is a fair amount of money to have available for a project It's still going to leave some wants unchecked. East Coast trails of mud and trees make rails, a winch, axle strengthening, bumpers and ground clearance a necessity and then you pick and choose the rest. Fender chops/replacements, and/or a 1" body lift aren't necessarily compromises with the tire clearance they bring and lower COG they bring, you just need to line up your priorities. That is far different than the compromises of a 2.5" budget boost.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for your sevice to our country, I pray for your safe return. May you enjoy the freedom your jeep can give you.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Originally Posted by boyscout bob
Thank you for your sevice to our country, I pray for your safe return. May you enjoy the freedom your jeep can give you.
hey man, that means a lot. it's good to hear that there are people out there that support what we're doing for our country. can't wait to get back and hit the trails.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by marcoseddi
(while your in germany kill some of those nazi bastidss

every Country have his idiots

@ Larzpdot a warm welcome here in Germany special in Rheinland Pfalz where is your station

Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

@ Larzpdot a warm welcome here in Germany special in Rheinland Pfalz where is your station

[/QUOTE]

I'm stationed on Spangdahlem Air Base. Thanks for the welcome
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Oh that´s not so far from this Off Road Spot http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/feel/o...d-driving.html
I live 20Km away from Rammstein Air Base maybe 160 Km from Spangdahlem

Quick Reply: Throw Some Ideas Out