Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Throttle body spacers

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo
If I lived closer i'd be all over that offer ........... i'd even bring the beer.

This makes it sound like you got that 17.5 all from the CAI though.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...74&postcount=6
I did a re-read of the post you mentioned and I agree it sounds that way. I should have been more like:

"I tested each mod individually. I showed gains with each mod individually. In concert with all the mods I have an increased MPG from 14.4 to 17.5"

I appologize for not being more clear on that post.

As for the member with 17.5 MPG stock:

One of 4 things can explain this:
1. You got lucky, real lucky.
2. Your using the onboard computer, and they just dont work.
3. You use premium gas, I dont.
4. Your unit was one of the ones randomly selected for the ritual Blessing of the Monks.

Joking aside, I would suggest this:
Use the regular grade gas. Fill up to the exact point that gas starts to overflow. Ride around for a couple days. When you go to put more gas in, write down the miles. Fill up to the exact point that gas begins to overflow. See how many gallons it took to refill to that point. Divide miles/gallons.

This is the only way to get an actual MPG. I would bet that you fit into either 2 or 3 from above, as nobody's that lucky, and everyone knows the Monks only bless the Yellow ones....
Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBadMike
I did a re-read of the post you mentioned and I agree it sounds that way. I should have been more like:

"I tested each mod individually. I showed gains with each mod individually. In concert with all the mods I have an increased MPG from 14.4 to 17.5"

I appologize for not being more clear on that post.

As for the member with 17.5 MPG stock:

One of 4 things can explain this:
1. You got lucky, real lucky.
2. Your using the onboard computer, and they just dont work.
3. You use premium gas, I dont.
4. Your unit was one of the ones randomly selected for the ritual Blessing of the Monks.

Joking aside, I would suggest this:
Use the regular grade gas. Fill up to the exact point that gas starts to overflow. Ride around for a couple days. When you go to put more gas in, write down the miles. Fill up to the exact point that gas begins to overflow. See how many gallons it took to refill to that point. Divide miles/gallons.

This is the only way to get an actual MPG. I would bet that you fit into either 2 or 3 from above, as nobody's that lucky, and everyone knows the Monks only bless the Yellow ones....
That was me who posted 17.5 stock.
No offense taken, but I have been figuring gas mileage for 40 years.
To answer your points above:
1. I am very lucky, in more important ways than this topic.
2. I look at the onboard computer, but what goes in my log is hard numbers.
3. I have used only regular, since that is what the manual says to use.
4. I don't see 17.5 mpg at all unreasonable to expect from a stock JK.
Perhaps the difference lies in the way we drive.
I, too, have "got power I ain't even used yet". No need for it in everyday driving. Off road, I'll let the gears do the work.
Don't get me wrong. I did all kinds of stuff to my XJ over the 14 years I owned it. The end product was worth it from a strictly hobby point of view.
Things are much harder to do and see any significant results in a vehicle as computer controlled as the JK.
Oh, and by the way, 22 mpg is easily obtained on the interstate with my JK.
I have gotten better than that on an extended trip on 45 mph roads.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That was me who posted 17.5 stock.
No offense taken, but I have been figuring gas mileage for 40 years.
To answer your points above:
1. I am very lucky, in more important ways than this topic.
2. I look at the onboard computer, but what goes in my log is hard numbers.
3. I have used only regular, since that is what the manual says to use.
4. I don't see 17.5 mpg at all unreasonable to expect from a stock JK.
Perhaps the difference lies in the way we drive.
I, too, have "got power I ain't even used yet". No need for it in everyday driving. Off road, I'll let the gears do the work.
Don't get me wrong. I did all kinds of stuff to my XJ over the 14 years I owned it. The end product was worth it from a strictly hobby point of view.
Things are much harder to do and see any significant results in a vehicle as computer controlled as the JK.
Oh, and by the way, 22 mpg is easily obtained on the interstate with my JK.
I have gotten better than that on an extended trip on 45 mph roads.
No offense intended, I assure you. I only use regular also. I would love to have gotten 17.5 stock, but it wasn't to be. I do drive like an old man, and am far from a speed freak. I live in a neighborhood that you have to pull directly onto a major road that is packed with 55-60 mph traffic. You either got the power, or you sit there for a long time. No other way out. I have only been on a couple short jaunts on the highway for an hour or so at a time. My only info for MPG on highway is by the computer as I dont fill up before and after getting on the highway, and once city driving mixes, it throws the results. Computer shows average of 24 mpg Hwy, but as stated before, They are nothing better than a good guess.

I may just take everything off for a few days and log my results, then only add the TBS for a few days and log the results. I may also do this with the Stage 1 and the CAI individually and log the results. I have ran only one at a time before, but didn;t actually log anything, just noted in head of the realized performance.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

An update to my previous post (#14):
I crunched all the numbers from day one. Overall average for this vehicle is 17.7 mpg, stock configuration, almost all of it city.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacers