Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Throttle body spacer... worth it?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmow01
I have the programmer... its pretty good. I had exhaust on my 4.0 and liked the way it sounded does the 3.8 sound close?
Jeep 3.8L....Power like a Prius, Mileage like a Hemi i like that! haha

Oh so true...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back during the days of carbureated engines, and maybe even also in the early days of the T/B injection where the air and fuel were mixed prior to entering the cylinder, perhaps a bit of a gain.
Today however the JK engine is electronically controled multiport injected. That means the fuel and air only come together in the cylinder, and the air must travel through the runners of the intake manifold before it reaches the cylinder. Irregardless of how much air you allow into the t/b since the intake runners remain the same, only a given amount of air will enter the cylinder during the intake cycle of the engine.
Perhaps if one were to add a t/b spacer then somehow force the air through the runners and into the cylinder then there would be a difference, ahhh but wait. Someone has, and it's called a supercharger.
Some company's that produce the t/b spacer, design it to create a vortex, and claim that the vortex gives a better mix. Again this would be true provided the vortex would carry through the intake runners and into the cylinder, but I doubt these rings in the t/b have the capability to perform such a feat.
Countless automotive mechanics I've talked to about this has said the same thing. Installing a throtle body spacer in todays multiport injection systems simply will not any HP increase.
And if we really think about it, if something like that would work, wouldn't the auto manufacturer add one in the factory.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Back during the days of carbureated engines, and maybe even also in the early days of the T/B injection where the air and fuel were mixed prior to entering the cylinder, perhaps a bit of a gain.
Today however the JK engine is electronically controled multiport injected. That means the fuel and air only come together in the cylinder, and the air must travel through the runners of the intake manifold before it reaches the cylinder. Irregardless of how much air you allow into the t/b since the intake runners remain the same, only a given amount of air will enter the cylinder during the intake cycle of the engine.
Perhaps if one were to add a t/b spacer then somehow force the air through the runners and into the cylinder then there would be a difference, ahhh but wait. Someone has, and it's called a supercharger.
Some company's that produce the t/b spacer, design it to create a vortex, and claim that the vortex gives a better mix. Again this would be true provided the vortex would carry through the intake runners and into the cylinder, but I doubt these rings in the t/b have the capability to perform such a feat.
Countless automotive mechanics I've talked to about this has said the same thing. Installing a throtle body spacer in todays multiport injection systems simply will not any HP increase.
And if we really think about it, if something like that would work, wouldn't the auto manufacturer add one in the factory.
This is (mostly) all true, but people don't seem to want to hear it.

(I'm pretty sure the fuel and air come together just prior to the intake valves.)
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is (mostly) all true, but people don't seem to want to hear it.

(I'm pretty sure the fuel and air come together just prior to the intake valves.)
Not to start a debate, however this taken from how the new electronic multiport fuel injection system works:
"With electronic multiport injection, fuel is delivered directly to each cylinder via individual injectors. The intake manifold is then used exclusively for air induction (dry intake system). "
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he was reffering to is where the fuel is injected. which is right at the back of the intake valve. versus IN the intake manifold like throttle body injection or carb. Any sequential fuel injection (our 3.8L) fuel is injected in the intake port.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't buy into the marketing crap. Its a waste of money on a modern vehicle like ours.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's simple, really......if the fuel is introduced somewhere AFTER the throttle body, then upgrading the throttle body is totally useless. The air and fuel have to swirl together going into the engine for the effect to work.......not that it ever worked that good to begin with. .....but then, people still buy snake oil, too.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one for free with my Airaid and sold it on eBay, made the total investment in the intake about $150, which was about as high as I was willing to go for the limited benefit.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Not to start a debate, however this taken from how the new electronic multiport fuel injection system works:
"With electronic multiport injection, fuel is delivered directly to each cylinder via individual injectors. The intake manifold is then used exclusively for air induction (dry intake system). "
No debate....
Fuel "delivered directly to each cylinder by individual injectors" doesn't mean injected into each cylinder.
I was just indicating our engine is not direct injection, which is a technology still in development for gas engines. It would be a big deal if Jeep had put direct injection in any of their gasoline vehicles. It would not have been ignored in their advertising.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-19-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No debate....
Fuel "delivered directly to each cylinder by individual injectors" doesn't mean injected into each cylinder.
I was just indicating our engine is not direct injection, which is a technology still in development for gas engines. It would be a big deal if Jeep had put direct injection in any of their gasoline vehicles. It would not have been ignored in their advertising.
Ahh. You are correct. I was reading an article about direct injection a few days ago, and I guess it just stuck in my head. The JK's 3.8L is in fact sequential. I stand corrected.
I still maintain, however that a T/B spacer is not a good efficient upgrade.
Again thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer... worth it?