Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Throttle body spacer... worth it?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you want more power, obviously. From what i have seen on this and many other JK forums is....you can waste a lot of money on the little do-dads and not get much...at all.

The biggest bangs for bucks seems to be a tuner, gearing, and a supercharger. Little catback, intake, spacers, etc, etc dont do enough to make a difference. All three combined would be noticeable, but probably not the $1000 worth that you paid!

People with calibrated butt dynos, who really have done lots of modifying vehicles in their day and know what more efficiency feels like...say not to waste your money. I will buy a tuner for the 3.8L, nothing more.

Oh also expect a ricey sound with exhaust, it's FAR from a v8, no matter what you put on it.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmow01
Yeah I spent a good chunk on the extended... who has exhaust? Brand, opinions?
No. Save your money. In computer managed engine and fuel systems. it is the ECM programming that sets fuel mixture. It will readjust mixture back to programmed parameters once the throttle spacer is in place so that there is no difference. If you want some more power and possibly better economy you need to modify the ECM parameters via a plug in chip such as the Jet Performance chip or similar. Changing to a freer flowing exhaust will also help with low down power and torque (esp petrol engine). Modified headers that improve fuel flow & distribution will also help. Air snorkels, ram air systems, etc do not work because the ECM resets the fuel/air ratio after a short time. The best way to improve fuel consumption is to have a lighter accelerator foot!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the programmer... its pretty good. I had exhaust on my 4.0 and liked the way it sounded does the 3.8 sound close?
Jeep 3.8L....Power like a Prius, Mileage like a Hemi i like that! haha
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallaby
The best way to improve fuel consumption is to have a lighter accelerator foot!
hard to do I have a '68 camaro with 550hp that I drive on the weekends too hard to get back in the jeep... haha
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

Snorkles/Ram Air/Etc help volumetric efficiency, i dont see how the ecm can adjust for that. It's built into the design of the engine...intake/head/ports/valves/etc. By getting more air in, the volumetric efficiency will increase.

As you said the "ECM sets the fuel mixture". That is very true, not the air intake. More air will show a leaner condition by the o2s until the ECM adjusts injector on time to keep stoich as much as possible. It won't just "de-mod" the engine.

Dramatically? No, but ECM just isn't going to adjust the air coming in. Part throttle and such maybe due to the electric throttle needing less plate angle to keep the wanted rpm. But at hard throttle, it wont.

Just my opinion really...!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jmow01
hard to do I have a '68 camaro with 550hp that I drive on the weekends too hard to get back in the jeep... haha
Wont compare unless you throw a Hemi in it. I know what you mean I run a '72 Cuda and drive 500hp BMWs on a daily basis...just have to realize the JK's position in the HP food chain...its LOWWW on it!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Have the dealer install them if you want to keep your warranty
Lots have done this to keep there warranty, I am sure it will cost more but what is your worth
I had mine done just not going to tell the dealer till they ask or when they open a rear then play stupid that come's easy for me
Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I may just have to go with the stupid play...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
Have the dealer install them if you want to keep your warranty
Lots have done this to keep there warranty, I am sure it will cost more but what is your worth
I had mine done just not going to tell the dealer till they ask or when they open a rear then play stupid that come's easy for me
Yep, dealer installed 4.10s would be covered still. Cost you to do it, but covered. Any lower of a ratio would not since they dont go any lower.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Snorkles/Ram Air/Etc help volumetric efficiency, i dont see how the ecm can adjust for that. It's built into the design of the engine...intake/head/ports/valves/etc. By getting more air in, the volumetric efficiency will increase.

As you said the "ECM sets the fuel mixture". That is very true, not the air intake. More air will show a leaner condition by the o2s until the ECM adjusts injector on time to keep stoich as much as possible. It won't just "de-mod" the engine.

Dramatically? No, but ECM just isn't going to adjust the air coming in. Part throttle and such maybe due to the electric throttle needing less plate angle to keep the wanted rpm. But at hard throttle, it wont.

Just my opinion really...!
The MAP sensor is going to take care of any additional air. As you mentioned, the only advantage is going to be at WOT. As for the TBS, any advantages are all dried up by 10mph.

Last edited by JPop; 09-18-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer... worth it?