Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thoughts on the Warn PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the Warn PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch

I am looking to by a winch for my 2011 Rubicon Unlimited and was looking at the Warn PowerPlant winch. Looking for any input on this winch. I was told that because of the height of the winch it blocks the air flow to the radiator. Is this true? I do like the air compressor feature. It beats having to carry a spare bottle of air. Thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmatir1-Rubicon2011
I am looking to by a winch for my 2011 Rubicon Unlimited and was looking at the Warn PowerPlant winch. Looking for any input on this winch. I was told that because of the height of the winch it blocks the air flow to the radiator. Is this true? I do like the air compressor feature. It beats having to carry a spare bottle of air. Thanks
Yes the power plant is awesome. It is big so I would get a pumper that it can sit down into instead of on top of.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I'm really happy with mine. It works great. It's pricey, but you get a winch and compressor. Mine sits on top of my stock bumper and does cover the grill quite a bit but has never caused any issues with overheating, even towing a boat in the summer heat. That being said, I would like to find an aftermarket bumper that positions the winch down lower. Not all bumpers will accommodate the Powerplant, though.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it, here is a pic with our stubby bumper.
I really, really want one on my next (personal) Jeep.
I haven't overheated with it either and I drove this JK all over AZ in the summer too.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Love that rancho pic
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my PowerPlant in 07 and I've been very happy with it. I know lots of people who run the PowerPlant in many different bumpers. I haven't heard of any overheating issues with it. Because of the compressor the winch cable is offset to the drivers side. On many aftermarket bumpers, including mine (Lod) this offset results in a fairlead that isn't centered on the winch cable. This hasn't been an issue for me, but it is for some people. There are a few bumper manufacturers that made an offset fairlead for the PowerPlant.

With all of that said, if I was building a jeep today I would go with separate components. Warn winches are excellent, and there are also several excellent air compressor systems available for the JK. You can put together a great winch and a great air compressor system separately and have it be cheaper than doing the PowerPlant.

Take Care,
Ken

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Warn PowerPlant Dual Force HP 9500LB Winch