Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thoughts on the Warn 9.5 si M.O.S.F.E.T. winch?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the Warn 9.5 si M.O.S.F.E.T. winch?

Ok, so I'm finally deciding that the empty spot in my AEV bumper needs to be stuffed with a winch and the 9.5 si is the one I like best. Does anyone have this one? Thoughts on it in general? I know it's pricey and far more expensive than many winches out there, but it's a Warn, looks like it'll pull more than I ever need and when it comes to my Jeep I like things "just so" and silly as it sounds in addition to performing well I want it to look good in the bumper and with the rest of the Jeep. Plus, I figure do things right the first time, spend a little more and get exactly what you want and never have to do it over again.

And here's a noob question, will it need a cover? I don't want the line rusting, or even worse the winch itself if left exposed to the elements. It's a pricey purchase and i'd hate to ruin it by leaving it exposed to rain, snow, etc (jeep gets parked outside, not in a garage).
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm aparently not many people give this winch any thought. lol Is it the pricetag? Or just not all it's cracked up to be? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on? lol
Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Might be the price tag. Wish I could help you out. I just purchased the Warn M8000 from 4WD a few weeks ago. Was at a pretty good sale price, I just couldn't pass it up. For me, it's for just in case purposes. I figured that would be enough pulling power and if I need more I can use a snatch block.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the AEV bumper and Warn 9.5si winch. The big advantage to the SI vs the TI is the sealed MOSFET block -- no solenoids to wear out, rust, etc.

If you live in an area that uses salt in winter, you should protect your winch with a cover. Here's one I had made:

js.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I have the AEV bumper and Warn 9.5si winch. The big advantage to the SI vs the TI is the sealed MOSFET block -- no solenoids to wear out, rust, etc.

If you live in an area that uses salt in winter, you should protect your winch with a cover. Here's one I had made:

js.
Awesome! Really glad you replied. I've got the AEV bumper as well and was fairly confident the 9.5si would fit, but now I know for sure.

Nice looking cover too, I'll have to see what I can find that looks nice and still protects it. I wish they made a plastic shell for it that would just snap over it. Generally speaking it says its water proof, so aside from winter when the streets have been salted is a cover recommended? I'd like to keep it functioning 100% and looking good too without any visible corrosion, rust, etc.

This is I suppose a general winching question, but are they easy to install?

Has anyone bothered with the Warn cordless remote thing you can buy? Seems cool, but not sure it's necessary to spend the extra $130 on it.

Oh and if anyone has seen the 9.5si for less than $1379 and free shipping, let me know. That was the best price I could find on it after a good bit of hunting.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
I've got the AEV bumper as well and was fairly confident the 9.5si would fit, but now I know for sure.
You'll have to grind the corner of the passenger side frame rail, more than the AEV instructions suggest. Nothing a good grinder can't handle though.

aside from winter when the streets have been salted is a cover recommended?
I just cover it in winter to protect it from road salt. Don't forget a cover can also keep in moisture, so it's a two edged sword. If you keep it outside in winter, as you mentioned, moisture is less of a problem because it's always cold. :-)

This is I suppose a general winching question, but are they easy to install?
Yup.

Has anyone bothered with the Warn cordless remote thing you can buy? Seems cool, but not sure it's necessary to spend the extra $130 on it.
Start without and see what you think. I did a wired in-cab remote, but I really don't think many people could pull that off. The wireless remote would have been my second choice. Always keep your original remote as a backup, just in case.

Oh and if anyone has seen the 9.5si for less than $1379 and free shipping, let me know. That was the best price I could find on it after a good bit of hunting.
Check with David at Northridge4x4 - he usually has good prices, which include shipping. Quadratec has good pricing too, but their shipping can be on the expensive side.

js.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Hmm aparently not many people give this winch any thought. lol Is it the pricetag? Or just not all it's cracked up to be? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on? lol
Love the patience!

Warn is a GREAT product. I dont have the mosfet, but I do have the 9500 and to keep the cable good, make sure you wind it up straight and tight, and spray a little wd-40 on every layer the first time. It works wonders. The cover is also good, and they make fitted neoprene covers for it.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys, this is all great info and I think the 9.5si will definitely get added to my Xmas list of goodies to buy.

Oh JS, can the winch be mounted with the bumper in place or will I have to pull it to mount it? Just wondering if it's possible to tilt it and lay it in place and then bolt everything down. Either way, doesn't sound like too bad of a job, even with it being a bit cold out. Plus I can always pull the front end of the Jeep into the garage to work, to make the elements not matter as much.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to pull the bumper off to install, including the winch plate since you will need to grind a little off the pasenger side of the frame mounting point. It should be the same as in the installation instructions from AEV since the 9.5si and 9.5ti have the same housing.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Warn 9.5 si M.O.S.F.E.T. winch?