Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thoughts on throttle body spacers

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't make your decision over people that no experience of their own and say safe your money cause obviously they're idiots who just assume stuff.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Save * not Safe... Damn iPhone lol
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

More torque at a given rpm = more horsepower at that rpm.

Please explain how a throttle body spacer promotes fuel atomization when the fuel isn't injected into the air until just before the intake valve.
While I can't perfectly explain exactly how it works as I don't design them the ECM controls everything on a vehicle. So it would not have to mix with the fuel to work because the computer tells the injectors how much fuel to add. Many peeps change their injectors and rave about power gains when really even with bigger injectors you get the same amount of fuel because the computer still only allows them to be open for so long. The power aid and many alike spacers have fins to create a vortex of air, the idea is to force more air into the throttle body. If more air is being moved the MAP sensor will notice and adjust the fuel to compensate therefor you have more fuel and more air equals more power. Yes I agree that a torque load creates a certain amount of HP but at the low end of the torque curve in a cammer engine you are not far enough in the power band to improve much in the HP numbers as you will always make more torque than HP to begin with. We are only talking about a 2-3 HP gain at best and nobody is gonna feel that! The 3.6 makes its peak HP very high in the RPM range like at 6000 or so and the total HP of course is only 285 so at the low end as I said you may not notice anything in the HP range. Most engines start making a flat power curve at 4500 RPM. Like I said they do work but most peeps when looking for HP are not looking for this kind of power improvement and really they are designed to work with other add ons like CAI, programmer, and exhaust and do not work as well as a stand alone unit. I'm not trying to sell you guys one or tell you they are the greatest mod ever just trying to let you know that they work maybe just not the way you wanted or hoped. As I said before you need to decide if this is the kind of power or improvement you were looking for or not.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vortex tube yes ------ a throttle body spacer no

Let's talk of the air dynamics of a vortex which a spacer won't have be cause of it's length

In air dynamics, vorticity is the curl of the air velocity. It can also be considered as the circulation per unit area at a point in a air flow field. It is a vector quantity, whose direction is along the axis of the air's rotation. For a two-dimensional flow, the vorticity vector is perpendicular to the plane.

For a air having locally a "rigid rotation" no axis, vorticity is twice the angular velocity of a air element. An irrotational air has no vorticity. Somewhat counter-intuitively, an irrotational air can have a non-zero angular velocity (e.g. a air rotating around an axis with its tangential velocity inversely proportional to the distance to the axis has a zero vorticity); see also forced and free vortex.

In general, vorticity is a specially powerful concept in the case that the viscosity is low.

I been thinking of a vortex tube before the throttle body to increase air density and volume for intake manifold.

Think tornado effect

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 09-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have one on my Tundra.. honestly when I'm in the mood the whistle sounds petty bad-A, but at other times it gets annoying. A little HP gain but lets just say I won't be spending $100 for a spacer on the Jeep.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Let's talk of the air dynamics of a vortex which a spacer won't have be cause of it's length

In air dynamics, vorticity is the curl of the air velocity. It can also be considered as the circulation per unit area at a point in a air flow field. It is a vector quantity, whose direction is along the axis of the air's rotation. For a two-dimensional flow, the vorticity vector is perpendicular to the plane.

For a air having locally a "rigid rotation" no axis, vorticity is twice the angular velocity of a air element. An irrotational air has no vorticity. Somewhat counter-intuitively, an irrotational air can have a non-zero angular velocity (e.g. a air rotating around an axis with its tangential velocity inversely proportional to the distance to the axis has a zero vorticity); see also forced and free vortex.

In general, vorticity is a specially powerful concept in the case that the viscosity is low.

Uh huh...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on throttle body spacers