Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those of you running aftermarket intakes...

Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you running aftermarket intakes...

I'm looking into a new airaid intake and throttle body spacer. Opinions on this? Pics maybe? The guarding around the filter seems to be pretty secure and it looks to have some sort of foam or rubber that seals against the hood. I may be wrong... What are the odds of sucking up water also? I hit puddles at high speeds sometimes and I don't know if this will be an issue. What sort of sound will I be expecting too with these add-ons?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I modified mine more and have a pre-filter. I've had zero issues with water and mud, although I am careful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	104995
Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good! Do you have any instructions on how you did everything?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The airaid has 2 side shields and a bottom. I cut a piece of roof flashing to fit in the front of the "box" also siliconed where all the shields went together and left a small section unsealed incase water splashed in. The very front, closest to the grill is where you need the extra water shield. I got pipe insulation from lowes and double stacked it on the edge. It has sticky glue already on it so it adheres fine. It keeps water from being slung across the hood by the serpentine belt directly onto the intake.The stock rubber gasket they send doesn't cut it. I also have a pre-filter which further protects against splashes. It works for me. I don't suggest submarining with it, but to me it provides more air and better protection than the stock box. The airhorn inlet on the stock box is in the poorest position it could be in. Again, if not blocked, that serpentine belt will throw water directly into that intake. This is one thing I think causes alot of hydrolocks on stock jk's, that and the fact the horn on the stock box is pretty much level with where the fender and hood meet.Kinda like pouring water into a funnel.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

IMO, just go with a snorkel and be done with it. It's not much more than a cai and it gives waaaay more peace of mind. If you want a pre-filter, then order it with a pre-filter. No worries, no issues of hydrolock, no problems period as long as you waterproof the rest of your jeep

Quick Reply: For those of you running aftermarket intakes...