Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those of you with racks...

Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know that's a good point about the ferry... I may take the Alaska Marine Highway and that trailer could set the cost up another $1000 bucks more like than not... but even the AlCan highway may be rough with a trailer if I go that route. I'm considering the rack more, because it's also badass and has lights and I'll use it more in the future... I wish I could fab better, but oh well :\ I also just found out it can be an apportioned tax write off! w00t!

But I thought Gobi racks were the most revered, however no responses yet mention them... curious...

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I have been eyeballing the Smittybilt SRC rack that just came on the market. $370 from summit racing with a 300 lb capacity. I like that the 3 cross bars are adjustable. I know summit ships to AK and doesn't rape you from when i was stationed at Elmendorf. Also, along with that I'm planning on getting one of the cargo baskets that go into the hitch receiver on the bumper I'm getting. Perfect IMO for a cooler and some firewood...then put my camping gear on the roof rack. My .02
Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

My gobi is one of the best mods I ever did to my rig. It's my daily driver and the rack is solid. For my soft top, it takes a few extra minutes to drop the top, but not too bad. I can't say I regret my purchase at all. I tend I carry a lot of gear with me when I go places and the rack definitely helps with stowage.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm definitely leaning more toward the Gobi IF I get a rack, and honestly I'm not sure if I could make that trip without a rack. And maybe one of those trailer hitch cargo racks too... hm. I'll need a way to secure my bike and snowboard vs theft too, but I'm pretty sure they make lockable carriers for those.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by b5rider
I have to second the trailer. I have the Gobi rack on my rig. It is all that people say bout it and more. But, it is very heavy and will sap 2-3 mpg from your rig. I have used it 3 times in the last 5 months and for a daily driver, you have to take the increased noise, wear and tear from the weight, and the decrease in MPG from having the rack installed all the time. Also, it discourages me from taking the hard top off due to the fact it is a PITA to do so with the rack in stalled. If you really think you will use it more than once in a while, it is a nice thing to have. If you will only occasionaly use the extra storage, buy a cheap trailer.
I agree with this 100%
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dang... See the thing is, for what I could put up on the rack it'd probably cost me over $500 or $600 to ship. I know it'd take my fuel efficiency down, but I am trying to look at this as a several hundred dollar, and partial tax write off, deduction from the cost of the rack if I ever decided to get one later on. Rather than drop the money to ship my stuff and have nothing lasting to show for it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't get my previous response wrong, I love my gobi rack. However, when I am not using it (which is most of the time) I kind of regret having it on the jeep. That is different than regretting owning the rack, I do not regret that part. The point is that when it is on the jeep the mpg/wind feel (the sound does not bother me at all) irks me unless I am hauling something on it.

On the plus side when you are not hauling stuff on the rack it is a great place to climb up and hang out for a good view or to lay back and watch to the stars.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I should also point out that I have taken the rack off several times, but left the light bar on. Overall that did not do much for mpg and any real feel change. I did recently take off the rack and light bar for a long road trip. I loved the change in feel and definitely improved my mpg. I will leave the rack and light bar off until I need to use them again.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sent a PM GOBI is definitly worth saving the $$ for...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

I love my Kargo Master Congo Cage and Safari Rack. Money well spent for moving, camping, etc.

Quick Reply: For those of you with racks...