Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those of you with racks...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with racks...

Ok, for those of you that have racks, no matter what brand, do you regret spending that cheddar on the rack instead of something else? I'm really looking at Gobi, they even got me a quote for shipping to AK... it's a HEFTY price, though I know those of you who would have gotten a rack anyway say the Gobi's are totally worth it. But this is more of a question of, do you regret buying a rack at ALL, in the stead of some other mod. See my mod list and tell me what you think... My goal is to make this an expeditionary type of vehicle so a rack seems pretty logical. Plus I'm moving about 3,600 miles soon, so it seems even more logical. But what do you guys think?

Would the rack or gearing to 5.13s help me more on that long of a drive for a move?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default No regret on rack

I have no regret on my rack, although i got it for 200 bucks on craigslist. Mines a kongo rack with crossbars.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

I've got the Kongo cage and rack. I don't regret it, especially when I run out of room inside the Jeep and have no where else to put stuff. You will need a wind deflector though, at least I did. I just bought a Thule one off ebay and did some adjustments. Works great, no whistling.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow those are some nice looking trailers... I never really considered buying a trailer but those would work well... I guess my big issue is that I'd have no place to store it when I get to Cali, as I'll be living in an apartment for quite some time. I don't really do any other motorsports and for camping I'd hate to take a huge trailer for just like a cooler or something. In my situation I'd probably get more use from a rack than a trailer since most of my hauling, other than this trip, will be off road.

But now I guess my concern is whether I'd be better served with gears for this trip or a rack? I'd hate to buy and install gears now when I'll probably end up doing a front axle swap down the road, but it still might be the better investment for the time being. What do you guys think?

Oh and thanks for the Kargomaster input!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

I have to second the trailer. I have the Gobi rack on my rig. It is all that people say bout it and more. But, it is very heavy and will sap 2-3 mpg from your rig. I have used it 3 times in the last 5 months and for a daily driver, you have to take the increased noise, wear and tear from the weight, and the decrease in MPG from having the rack installed all the time. Also, it discourages me from taking the hard top off due to the fact it is a PITA to do so with the rack in stalled. If you really think you will use it more than once in a while, it is a nice thing to have. If you will only occasionaly use the extra storage, buy a cheap trailer.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good point about the top, that has been a concern for me... and hopefully moving to Cali I'll have it down lots. I'm sure I'd use a trailer far less and have a horrible time storing it, but it's not ALWAYS on either... Hm.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOve mine. Congo Cage with an 8' rack. Awesome.

Bought it used so I couldn't pass it up.

Noisy as hell, and yeah I lost some mileage. But I can *always* carry more than I need with no worries.

I was thinking about a trailer instead of the rack, but a) the deal was too good to pass up and b) I live on an Island with a toll bridge/ferry. It costs a lot more to come/go with a trailer. Lots of ferries out this way and they all charge more for trailers... no extra for a rack!

And with 32 sq foot fo rack... who needs a trailer?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I bought a Kargomaster rack and basket for my TJ years ago, and I regretted it.

I hardly ever used it to haul gear, and when I did, I realized the money would have been better spent on a trailer.

For about the same money, I could have bought a trailer with 15" wheels capable of hauling an ATV or a ton of gear.

If I wanted to take it further off the beaten path, I could have done a spring over or block lift to be able to fit 35" tires on it.

The only reason I would ever consider a rack over a trailer is if I were going to do expedition-type, long range offroad trips.

However, to drive to campsites, or take a freeway trip, or just haul stuff home from the hardware store, I'd rather have a 2k-3k capacity utility trailer.

Maybe something like the utility trailers you can get at Tractor Supply.

Or maybe something like a truck bed trailer made from a mini-truck (Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc.).

Or maybe something like this at Costco:

that trailor is the coolest i have seenyet! i want one

Last edited by gijeep; 10-08-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: html
Old 10-08-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Made my own - spent about $120 bucks - love it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salt River 2010 009..jpg
Views:	152
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	94048
Old 10-08-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

I love my MBRP rack it suits my need perfectly. It holds a ton of weight for when I use it the most (winter months), it looks bad ass, and If I had to do it all over again I would go the same route. no buyers remorse here.

Quick Reply: For those of you with racks...