Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Those running/wheeling with Wheel Spacers...

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those running/wheeling with Wheel Spacers...

I'd like to hear from those who are currently running wheel spacers on their rig who wheel fairly hard on them or commute daily with wheel spacers. I'd like to know if there are any issues with running them own a highly used rig. I originally got my spacers to offset my stock wheels until I could purchase proper wheels with proper backspacing/offset. Well, now that I have 37's on my after market rims, there wasn't enough offset to clear from rubbing my frame rails. So...million dollar question is, is this okay to run spacer's pretty much permanently off-road and daily? What additional maintenance is needed to ensure safety, etc? Anybody ever break them while wheeling? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
I'd like to hear from those who are currently running wheel spacers on their rig who wheel fairly hard on them or commute daily with wheel spacers. I'd like to know if there are any issues with running them own a highly used rig. I originally got my spacers to offset my stock wheels until I could purchase proper wheels with proper backspacing/offset. Well, now that I have 37's on my after market rims, there wasn't enough offset to clear from rubbing my frame rails. So...million dollar question is, is this okay to run spacer's pretty much permanently off-road and daily? What additional maintenance is needed to ensure safety, etc? Anybody ever break them while wheeling? Thanks in advance.
I don't wheel my Jeep that much. But my rig is a daily driver. And I've had the same concerns as you. They havn't been on my rig but about a month. But they passed the first inspection with flying colors. Next inspection will be due soon. So I can update you more later.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to kno the same question and I have the same hesitation on wheel spacers? How big a spacer are you looking for? I think everyone recommends spidertrax brand spacers.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wheel mine and it is a daily driver. A heavy daily driver at that. I have been running mine for 8 months in temps from 80f to -50 and they have been just fine. They have been checked 6 times since installation and not one lug has been out of spec.

Edit-running Spidertrax 1.5"
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ColdSRT
I wheel mine and it is a daily driver. A heavy daily driver at that. I have been running mine for 8 months in temps from 80f to -50 and they have been just fine. They have been checked 6 times since installation and not one lug has been out of spec.

Edit-running Spidertrax 1.5"
thats nice to hear. i have been contemplating sticking some wide wheel spacers in to make my 12.5's look wider.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a set of Rough Country 2.5" spacers for my rig. They have been on about a week now. I checked the lugs and didn't find any of them loose. My rig is my DD so it gets plenty of use.
Just my $0.02
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

I offroad

I daily drive

I have spacers

I have zero issues
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

I've replied to a number of posts questioning this same issue. I have stock Sahara 18" wheels with 12.5 inch X 35's (Cooper SST's) and a 4 inch lift. It was squirrelly and rubbed on the traction bar until I installed 1 1/2 inch Spyder Trax spacers. What a difference! Stablized the tracking even at 80+ mph. I torqued them (95 ft/lbs) the first 500 miles and checked every 1000 miles since. Not one problem, they've performed admirably and look really good, gives that wide bad ass stance that Jeeps deserve. I thought of getting different wheels, but I like the stock alloy's.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Had a set of Spidertrax on my '08 for 2 years. I checked the studs first 1000 miles and every tire rotation since. Never had one stud loosen!! Im waiting for my next set of Spidertrax to come in for my '11 Rubi now!

Admittedly I was originally worried also since I often drive 750 mile weekends. However I've never had any issues at all.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

1.5 spidertrax, daily driver (about 300miles a week) been wheeling every weekend but nothing too extreme and have had no issues. though i run 33s not 37s. the only problem I see encountering is flat repairs many of the bigger tire chains dont touch them. went in to discount and they pulled a wheel saw the spacer and put the wheel right back on. I just had them remove the spacers reinstall wheels with new tires and then I reinstalled the spacers when I got home.

Quick Reply: Those running/wheeling with Wheel Spacers...