Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those running the Currie steering setup..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those running the Currie steering setup..

Where does the grease come out on the tie rod ends? The boots are attached unlike most aftermarket tie rods where the boots just sit on top of the joint. It looks like there is no place for the grease to exit?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You dont want the grease to exit the boot. It acts like a seal to keep the grease in and the dirt and water out.
That makes no sense, eventually grease has to come out somewhere otherwise where does it go overtime? Also on my ball joints and current tie rod they have places to exit to push out the old grease and contaminants.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi

Ever heard of sealed bearings? Same deal. Keep contaminates out keep the grease in. To change out old grease in the currie drag link you would take it apart and clean it.
So then why even put zerks on them if they keep the grease in? So your telling me everytime I wanna grease the currie set up I have to drop the tie rod and drag link and disassemble all the joints???
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi

No, grease will last a long time in a sealed unit. Just fill the boot up till it starts to bulge this will keep pressure on the grease and force it around the ball joint so it is always lubricated. The zerk is there to fill it. Should you need to flip the joint or do take it apart for an inspection you can fill it back up.
So how do you know when it's time to refill it? When the boot is not swelled anymore?

Are you running the currie set up ?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi

Well this is the response I got from Currie. So I guess these are not sealed boots, or they are? As usual with aftermarket parts, you get a hundred different stories..

You should grease the steering typically every other oil change or whenever
you grease your suspension joints. The old grease will definitely escape,
there are spots in the boot where it will seep out.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you grease any joint, the old grease has to go somewhere, just think, where did it go in the first place if its sealed? Greasable joints on tie rods,u-joints,ball joints are not considered sealed. Factory non -greasable joints may say they are sealed/non-servicable.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
When you grease any joint, the old grease has to go somewhere, just think, where did it go in the first place if its sealed? Greasable joints on tie rods,u-joints,ball joints are not considered sealed. Factory non -greasable joints may say they are sealed/non-servicable.
MK,

See my posts 1 and 3 in this thread.

Quick Reply: For those running the Currie steering setup..