Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Those with performance mods, question.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfr
I've read almost every performance thread. The consensus opinion seems to be these upgrades in order of cost.

1. Superchips flashpaq ($300). Especially if you have an automatic.
2. Regear ($1k-2k)
3. RIPP Supercharger ($5k)
OR
4. Hemi swap ($25k)

Intakes and exhausts seem to be a matter of personal preference. All headers suck except the ones from RIPP.
cfr, what is you reasoning or experience with other headers? Noise? Installation? Quality issues?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Jedi

As far as headers go, some have installed them and said very little gain was achieved, if any. Reason being is that the stock headers are pretty damn good.

I will also go with what Mark said.....can't really beat the re-gear....IF you have the money. If not first try the Flaspaq or this new Bullydog that has just come out, and see if it makes you happy enough. If not, put out the bucks and go with the re-gear. Then you'll still have the flashpaq as well, and added with the re-gear, other than a supercharger you'll be hard pressed to do any better.

I have a 2 door auto w/ 4:10s. I installed an Airaid cai, and the Flashpaq and I am very happy with the performance gains. I do however hope to install a good after market exhaust someday as well. From all I've read they say the 3 of them together create a pretty nice sweet spot. Add them to your re-gear and you should be happy. But she still won't be no Corvette..........lol.

Good Luck.....
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark is right, regear is your best option. Ripp or hemi upgrades are serious cash and the superchips is ok, but will still leave you wanting.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sciguy6
I won't call myself a mall crawler as I have been off road a few times, done the dunes in Michigan and was able to snag some Rubicon factory take off BFG KM's but I am disappointed with the weak engine. I travel alot to visit my family in Wisconsin, our cottage in Mich and my college boys (One plays college ball) and I have a hard time getting out of my own way merging or in a headwind. I had my Corvette modded some with headers, a cold air intake and larger exhaust with hi flo cats. It really opened my engine up. I had a local performance shop, FLP, do the work and I wanted them to do some work on the Jeep. I know there's a lot of different info out there but I was hoping for some feed back on this. FLP has a dyno and what ever I do, will be tested to see what I gain and they are good about backing what they do. 150 hp to the rear wheels is just not enough for me.

What has worked for you? Have you had it followed up with dynos? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
I feel for ya. The Jeep is like driving a refrigerator down the road with similar aerodynamics and a weak engine. If I had the bucks, I'd put a hemi in mine. I regeared with 5:13's. That and a Superchips made a world of difference. It's still a 3.8 pushing a box down the road.

Me... I drive my TA if I feel like juicin' folks on the freeway. Elsewise... the Jeep is big enough that I just hit the turn signal and merge. My wife calls it the "Hail Mary" merge...
Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stoneaxe
I feel for ya. The Jeep is like driving a refrigerator down the road with similar aerodynamics and a weak engine. If I had the bucks, I'd put a hemi in mine. I regeared with 5:13's. That and a Superchips made a world of difference. It's still a 3.8 pushing a box down the road.

Me... I drive my TA if I feel like juicin' folks on the freeway. Elsewise... the Jeep is big enough that I just hit the turn signal and merge. My wife calls it the "Hail Mary" merge...
Stoneax, I love it, the Hail Mary merge. Ask your wife if I can use that. Yes the Vette gets the grins but i don't drive it enough. thanks for the input.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See all the mods in my signature. After I did all my performance upgrades my Jeep is a lot faster. It really sucked driving it stock but after the upgrades I actually enjoy driving it now.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 AM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sciguy6
cfr, what is you reasoning or experience with other headers? Noise? Installation? Quality issues?
No personal experience with the headers. I have, however, read almost every post regarding performance and tried to represent the list that way.

On the list I provided, I only have the Superchips flashpaq (and a drop-in AFE Pro-Dry S filter).
Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a MBRP exhaust and AEM Brute force. This combo really makes the Jeep scoot with stock gears and 3.21 gears. I had a flowmaster and it didn't move as quick as it does now. Same with straight pipes.

Also - the altitude is what makes gains different from everyone. I felt noticeably slower when I went up to the mountains of Vermont.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the flashpaq which helps, but my plan is to do an intake or snorkel then an exhaust, then re-gear to 4.88's I have an automatic 4 door sahara and the off road shop I use will warranty any and all work up to 4.88's. The guy I deal with (which I believe really knows his stuff) doesn't think putting a anything beyond a 4.88 in a D30 axle is a good idea and flat out won't warranty it. It'll still be a 3.8 but I'll let everyone know what the dyno says when I'm done. I would do it all myself but I like having stuff warrantied.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running a Banks CAI and exhaust with the Superchips 87 Tune. So far it has been great. Nice sound and a noticeable difference in performance. It was never meant to be a rocket but at least now it feels more free. I'm sure most of the performance increase is just seat of the pants and wouldn't come out in real numbers...but hey, I drive it and it feels and sounds faster.

Quick Reply: Those with performance mods, question.