Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

For those that have painted their rims

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my first wheel using duplicolor bed coating like a lot of the guys said to use in other posts, but it looks a lot more textured than it looked in pics and not sure if I like it yet. Wanted a smoother look. If anyone sees this that's used the bed coating spray give me some reassurance it's the right way to go .
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duplicolor self etching primer top coated with their black wheel paint. It's matte and holds up great.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
Did my first wheel using duplicolor bed coating like a lot of the guys said to use in other posts, but it looks a lot more textured than it looked in pics and not sure if I like it yet. Wanted a smoother look. If anyone sees this that's used the bed coating spray give me some reassurance it's the right way to go .
I duplicolor bedlined my grill and used semigloss engine enamel on the wheels...just have to tell you the wheels are a little easier to keep clean just my 2 cents, i think the textured bedliner will hold dirt a little more, that's all

Plenty of people use bedliner on the wheels tho, you'll be fine
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I love the color, but gotta get used to the texture. May be hard to touch up though cuz it's so thick.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah, I love the color, but gotta get used to the texture. May be hard to touch up though cuz it's so thick.
Nah real easy touch up
Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a price to powder coat my rims but decided to plasti dip first to make sure I liked the look. That was 2 months ago and they still look great. No rush to change it up at all now. Can't beat the cost and look. I dipped the key holes and emblems too. Love this stuff!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2222015274.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	452847  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only did one today to see if I liked it and I did until I sprayed it on too thick in a certain spot, which caused it not to dry like the rest of it. Stupid me I try to remove some of the thick area and screw the whole thing up. So frustrating. Had to scrape all of it off and will need to re-sand it. Needless to say this will be my spare. Anyone know of a good chemical to remove this stuff if need be?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Only did one today to see if I liked it and I did until I sprayed it on too thick in a certain spot, which caused it not to dry like the rest of it. Stupid me I try to remove some of the thick area and screw the whole thing up. So frustrating. Had to scrape all of it off and will need to re-sand it. Needless to say this will be my spare. Anyone know of a good chemical to remove this stuff if need be?
Goof off but I wouldn't do it with chemicals if you have tires on there
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by lvd76
I got a price to powder coat my rims but decided to plasti dip first to make sure I liked the look. That was 2 months ago and they still look great. No rush to change it up at all now. Can't beat the cost and look. I dipped the key holes and emblems too. Love this stuff!!
I highly recommend NOT paying to powder coat wheels if you wheel it. They will get destroyed in the rocks, and there's no touching up powder coating. You can get em to look really good with paint. I end up touching up mine about every month from rock rash
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202

Goof off but I wouldn't do it with chemicals if you have tires on there
No tires just rims

Quick Reply: For those that have painted their rims