Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Those that have 2.5" lift running 35's - Please Post Pix

Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snatchpeterman
Do you think the Rancho Sport kit will do the job in replacing all the parts I need to worry about?
First off, I think you should know that the Rancho kits come in black as a default and if you want it in red, you will have to special request it. Second, I have no personal experience running the Rancho lift and I'm currently not familiar with all the components that will come with it to say for sure, but, I'm going to guess that it does. 4" of lift is a significant amount and at that height, pretty much all the stock components will get replaced.

Also, there is a kit from SkyJacker that is an add on to their lifts with red replacement bars and stuff. If used on a Rubicon, will this affect any of the features the Rubicon has with the disconnecting sway bar and such?
Are you 100% sure that they come in red and is getting red really that important. Don't get me wrong but if I were you, I would be more concerned with the quality and performance of aftermarket components and not the way it looks especially since you seem to be so concerned with warranty issues. Just something to think about.

Oh, and no, the kit won't effect your Rubicon e-discos so long as you don't disconnect your links

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-09-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
First off, I think you should know that the Rancho kits come in black as a default and if you want it in red, you will have to special request it. Second, I have no personal experience running the Rancho lift and I'm currently not familiar with all the components that will come with it to say for sure, but, I'm going to guess that it does. 4" of lift is a significant amount and at that height, pretty much all the stock components will get replaced.
Thanks! Yeah, I saw the black Rancho parts but now that SJ has stopped the red production, I am unaware of another option. Does anyone make red coils besides special requests from Rancho now? I still considering buying a SkyJacker kit off ebay that still has the red parts. So 4" is alot huh? Too much for 35"s? I don't want more than I need for sure.....not going for the huge and gawdy look. For 35"s, would I be better off with the 2.5"-3" Skyjacker or 4" Rancho?? Thanks for all the help and sorry I know so little but I want to do this right.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Here is the kit I'm wondering about. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16005_141.htm

What will it do for me?

As for worrying about quality rather than looks, I just thought both of these companies are top notch and it just comes down to preference. I agree with you......if one is poor quaility....please let me know.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks! Yeah, I saw the black Rancho parts but now that SJ has stopped the red production, I am unaware of another option. Does anyone make red coils besides special requests from Rancho now?
Sorry, but red has been going out of style for some time now and maufacturers have just been responding to the changing times. So far as I know, nobody sells red standard anymore. But, you could probably have your coils re-powder coated red.

I still considering buying a SkyJacker kit off ebay that still has the red parts. So 4" is alot huh? Too much for 35"s? I don't want more than I need for sure.....not going for the huge and gawdy look. For 35"s, would I be better off with the 2.5"-3" Skyjacker or 4" Rancho?? Thanks for all the help and sorry I know so little but I want to do this right
No, 4" isn't too much for 35's at all. But at 4", you really do want to make sure that all the components needed for a lift that high are included with your kit (i.e. adjustable control arms, longer sway bar links, adjustable track bars, extended brake lines or relocation brackets, longer shocks, probably a dropped pitman arm or some kind of drag link modification, things like that).

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-09-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Here is the kit I'm wondering about. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16005_141.htm

What will it do for me?
Do you see the bushings on these control arms?

While polyeurathane is pretty strong (black more so that red) and somewhat flexible, it also squeaks like a banshee. Also, these are fixed length lower control arms and won't do a whole lot for your Jeep in terms of dialing in your ride. Also, these do not include adjustable upper control arms which is something you will need at 4" of lift. Last but not least, if you are getting a Rubicon, you will not need the sway bar disconnects shown and the rear links are most likely not needed as well as the kit you plan on upgrading should already have them.

As for worrying about quality rather than looks, I just thought both of these companies are top notch and it just comes down to preference. I agree with you......if one is poor quaility....please let me know.
For me personally, the size of a company isn't the determining factor in whether or not they make a quality product. And, when I talk about quality, I am refering to the design of certain components, how well they function, how much will they improve the quality of my ride (or limit it), how well will it perform on the trail, will it improve my off road capabilities, how strong are they, will they be able to take the abuse of off roading, are they adjustable, how much flex will I get out of them, are they greasable, will they squeak, will they wear out and if so, how soon? IMHO, there is quality and then there is QUALITY. And, in my experience, there are a lot of ways to address a lift kit and some solutions have been proven to be better than others and some are just cheaper and easier to mass produce than others. As far as coming down to preference goes, yeah, it does, but the question you need to be asking yourself is, what are you basing your preference on? How something looks or how well will it perform?

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-09-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have some dealer installed 2.5 with 35" tires

I really have nothing to compare it too because i have drove nothing but this jeep with the lift on it from the start. I do get a very very slight rub on the back tires when flexed but its very small
Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Do you see the bushings on these control arms?

While polyeurathane is pretty strong (black more so that red) and somewhat flexible, it also ends up squeaking like a banshee. Also, these are fixed length lower control arms and won't do a whole lot for your Jeep in terms of dialing in your ride. Also, these do not include adjustable upper control arms which is something you will need at 4" of lift. Last but not least, if you are getting a Rubicon, you will not need the sway bar disconnects shown and the rear links are most likely not needed as well as the kit you plan on upgrading should already have them.

For me personally, the size of a company isn't the determining factor in whether or not they make a quality product. And, when I talk about quality, I am refering to the design of certain components, how well they function, how much will they improve the quality of my ride (or limit it), how well will it perform on the trail, will it improve my off road capabilities, how strong are they, will they be able to take the abuse of off roading, are they adjustable, how much flex will I get out of them, are they greasable, will they squeak, will they wear out and if so, how soon? IMHO, there is quality and then there is QUALITY. And, in my experience, there are a lot of ways to address a lift kit and some solutions have been proven to be better than others and some are just cheaper and easier to mass produce than others. As far as coming down to preference goes, yeah, it does, but the question you need to be asking yourself is, what are you basing your preference on? How something looks or how well will it perform?
Thanks for all the info. I already have the Rubicon and have waited way too long to lift it just because I can't decide on what kit to buy.....hence all my questions. I wish I knew what components were better designed than others but I don't so I just have to go on what looks and sounds good. If you can tell me what kit is best, I'll take your word for it.......you surely know more than I. I just need to get 35"s under it and not have to re-visit the issue later when I decide to go do some serious wheeling. I want the best and am willing to pay for it. This Jeep is my hobby and I don't want to spare expenses but money doesn't buy knowledge of what components are better than others and the guys at the local shop just want to sell what they have. So is the 2.5" Skyjacker Kit a good kit? How do I find out what components are better than others??

Last edited by Snatchpeterman; 05-09-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3" kit with 35's MINE STILL HITS A LITTLE, on a 2.5 IF YOU FLEX IT IT WILL RUB!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help and pix. I'm growing more confident that the 2.5 bb is all l'll need for my 35s. Oh, and I don't mind if anybody hijacks my threads - this is an open forum and if anyone has questions, let 'em rip because interested to find out the answers as well. WOL is unbelievably knowledgable, atleast with JEEPs . I think we all should ask as many questions as we can - while we can before he gets sick of us . J/K as in Just Kidding, not JK as in Bad A$$ Jeep

Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just my opinion but looks are not whats going to make a kit. So if you want red have it anodized or painted before the install, but being able to dial in your ride is very important as you want it to go down the road safely and straight. The only kits that I know of that allow you to do that are the 3 inch ultimate full traction kit and the superlift high end kit. So I suggest you do a little more research before putting that new JK in the air.

Quick Reply: Those that have 2.5" lift running 35's - Please Post Pix